Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
fàilte gun taigh chearc!!
("welcome to the Henhouse" in Scottish Gaelic)
We began our coop building with no real formal building training; however, my husband did have *basic* framing knowledge. I just want to say that nothing on this coop came out exactly square LOL and it took alot of tweaking to get it to come together, but in the end, I was and am super pleased with it. The chickens seem pretty happy too ;)
The dimensions of the coop are 8' long, 4' wide, 5' high, with an inner height of 3' in the actual coop itself. The coop is set on 2' legs.
First he just built a box, then added the legs with supporting brackets.
Then he framed the walls.
Next, we added the back and side panel (the right side) and the perches!
Now for the roof. We still haven't finished it yet- we will be adding shingles or a metal top soon. But here's us putting on 2 layers of fiberboard.
It took us a good day to get the nestboxes the way we wanted them. I wanted them on the outside, and it took some time to get it just right.
We made 3 boxes, each roughly about 12x12x14.
Here's the painted project, with trim around both doors and the painted chicken ladder
And now the window. We got this for $30 from a glass/window shop as an old close-out that never sold. We had to put it in upside down to make it work for us, but thats okay!!
Now, add a dash of foliage and voila!
For the run, we just used the green stakes and ran 2" heavy wire netting around it. I didnt think about it at the time, but chicks this young can and do easily go in and out of the fencing. It wont be too long though, before they're too big.
The run dimensions are 40 square feet total.
- The Little Red Barn
- › Hellooooooo, newish member here from Wales......... 2 minutes ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 3 minutes ago
- › Incubators Anonymous 6 minutes ago
- › 3 Mottled Cochin Bantam Roosters, 2 Silkie Roosters 8 minutes ago
- › My Barred Rock boys are now in the freezer, but 9 minutes ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 9 minutes ago
- › Starting First Coop (Lots of ?'s) 13 minutes ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 18 minutes ago
- › Ancona Ducks 19 minutes ago
- › Silkie breeding, genetics & showing 20 minutes ago
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by DeltaBluezTess
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill