Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Blaines Chicken Coop
This is the chicken coop my father and I built this fall. I looked all over the web to try to find some free plans and finally found this plan at buildeasy.com. We made a couple changes in the framing and design..... no actually, we made several changes but it gave us the dimensions to start with. The coop is 6'x6'x7'3". I wanted a really sturdy structure so we used 2"x 6"s instead of 2"x4" for the base. The bottom has hardware cloth attached to it to prevent any rodents from eating through the floor. We also framed the walls more like a house instead of using 4"x4"s.
Sometimes the littlest things turned out to be a pain.... The first decorative hinges I bought were to big and these were the only ones I could find that would fit.
After nailing on the shingles my wife didn't like the roofing nails sticking through the ceiling...she was afraid they may fly up and hit them so I covered the rafters and ceiling with panel sheets. She is often right about things like that.
The nesting boxes were built to be on the outside of the coop but my wife felt that may be to cold for them in winter. Since the boxes were already built I just made a few changes and tried my best to mount them inside. I then had to fill in the spaces that the hens might get stuck in. I probably should have just built the boxes over. I also had to cut off a storage area that was a section of the nesting boxes because it just got in the way with the nesting boxes being on the inside.
I got my 6 hens from friends who have chickens. I was a little worried that they might roost on top of the nesting boxes but the second night we saw three roosting on the lower pole and the next night 2 roosting on the upper pole. The first two days we got one egg.... the third day.. three eggs.
Finally finished a run area for them
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › baby quail hatching 5 seconds ago
- › D'uccle Thread 6 seconds ago
- › PLEASE HELP!!! EMERGENCY!!!!!!! 13 seconds ago
- › Mixing chick ages? 18 seconds ago
- › A Swede who is not. 29 seconds ago
- › d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics! 32 seconds ago
- › California - Northern 39 seconds ago
- › Slaves/Master RP (Restart) 39 seconds ago
- › Can I keep chicks in incubator for a few days after hatching? 44 seconds ago
- › Flow 1 minute ago
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Leghorn by DavidKerk
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel