Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Chicken Coop Made With Recycled MaterialsHow we built our chicken coop
updated on June 8th, 2008
We found these concrete blocks at Bedrock
for free. Wanted to raise floor a little to avoid the chicken coop flood in winter.
These frames were originally motorcycle container which we got for free from local BMW store. We used them for framing coop and making floor.
Nice hardwood floor!
It was a bit tricky to build a decent frame for roof, but again it's chicken house and it will settle on top of the wall once the roof shingles are installed. Made 3 nest boxes with the left over plywood from our kitchen remodel project.
Walls were originally the back panel of our 65 year-old kitchen cabinet. We saved them when we demolished our old kitchen.
That's why the part of interior wall color is red...
Roof is up! We had to buy the plywood for roof since we couldn't find big enough piece to recycle from our previous project...
Doors and wood framed window above egg collecting door are from Re-store in Ballard .
Egg collecting door opens like below...
We found this big square window from our basement (previous owner left two of them), and used it as part of side wall .
We are glad we did it because we can see the inside of coop w/o bothering chickens. :)
We got a free latex paint from King County's recycle store (color = beige),
and painted the outside wall.
We had our first chickens moved in before we had roof shingles installed. Roof was only covered by tar paper at this moment...
Found a free roof shingles and tar paper thru Craigslist. Nice color and 30 years guaranteed!
Finished with a fake twiggy window :) and a little handmade ramp for girls.
We also installed a light inside to provide more lights especially in winter.
Look! Our first eggs!!
And they turned out to be a yummy breakfast!!
OK, these pictures are actually from "Phase 1" of our project.
We ended up w/six lovely chickens moved into our coop in summer 2006. 8 month later, they were attacked and killed by two Akita dogs who escaped from a house 20 blocks away from us... (it was really really sad...)
3 months later, we became ready to have chickens again. Before we adapted 7 girls in summer 2007, we decided to move the coop to the corner of our back yard and build a fully fenced pen to provide them more secure place to hang out.
Our Wish List
- Coop : 8' wide x 4' deep x 3' tall (wall)/5' tall (top of the roof)
- Fully Fenced Pen : 12' wide x 8' deep x 6' tall
- Extended fenced pen : 60' wide x 8' deep with 4' tall wire fence w/T-posts.
- If we will have a chance to build another chicken coop in the future, we would probably build it w/human size door. It will be easier for us to clean.
- It would be cool to have auto-refill water system connected to one of our rain barrels.
- Some way to avoid walking on mud in our enclosed pen, maybe stepping stone or something. Otherwise my shoes get pretty messy every time I go in due to our winter rain in Seattle.
- The Little Red Barn
- › Decrowing Roosters. 2 seconds ago
- › Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2 3 seconds ago
- › Silkie hens with spiky 'punk' top knots? 4 seconds ago
- › Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps 11 seconds ago
- › New to backyard chicken raising... 31 seconds ago
- › *sigh* I'm loosing my touch. (Warning: Hi-jacked by Em) 51 seconds ago
- › June Hatch a Long 52 seconds ago
- › How to pick a good meat rabbit... 1 minute ago
- › The Middle Tennessee Thread 1 minute ago
- › Heritage Large Fowl Thread 1 minute ago
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › 1 Gallon Poultry Waterer by chickendude9
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh
- › Hello every one! by Sandstorm495
- › Our Chicken Journey by tatsmom25