Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Chicken Mansion by Mike Clayton
Well, I guess it really isn’t a mansion but it is too cool to just be called a chicken house. I know I put enough work into it for it to be called a chicken mansion.
This is the start to the mansion. I’ve never built anything on my own before so I had to get a lot of info from many of my friends. Yes, I called them a lot. The coop is 8x8 with a 4x8 porch. Inside walls are 6’5” tall. The run is 12’ x 16’ x 6’ tall..
My Granddaddy use to raise chickens some 30-40 odd years ago. He would raise 10,000 or more at a time. I cut it down to around 12. We can handle that many and still enjoy them without it seeming like work. My hat’s off to my Granddaddy, he was a good man.
The inside of the nesting boxes are 12” wide x 11.5” tall x 12 deep. The entrance to them is 11”wide x 8” tall so they won’t roost in them. I made the lid to the nesting boxes so that it could be opened without actually going into the coop or roosting area. Yes, that is linoleum flooring. Easy Cleanup.
I made a screen door to separate the coop from the entrance area. The pop door is 11” tall and 10” wide. I raised each entrance with 3 2x4’s so that the shavings would stay in the coop.
We have an assortment of chickens, not just one breed. Right now, half of them roost outside and half inside. I imagine when it gets colder they will all come inside.
Bruno takes care of his girls quite well and sings to the world every morning. For now, the run has a tarp over half of it for shade. Later, I plan on replacing the tarp with tin roofing and to finish staining the porch. I also plan on landscaping the yard around the coop. I’ve enjoyed every minute of building the chicken mansion and now enjoy every minute of watching its occupants.
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › Setting eggs today...20th May...anyone else? 3 seconds ago
- › A new day, a new issue...string wrapped around ankle! 4 seconds ago
- › Pennsylvania!! Unite!! 9 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 12 seconds ago
- › June Hatch a Long 13 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 13 seconds ago
- › The Last Wolves RP 27 seconds ago
- › Oregon 28 seconds ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 42 seconds ago
- › Lost/Abandoned Wood Duck duckling 1 minute ago
- › Rhode Island by Chicken Goddess
- › Frizzle by TheCrazyClucker
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Bill`s Chicken Farm by BillysFlock
- › My Funny Farm! by anastasiamarie
- › My Golden Palace by MEMama3
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo