Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Dh1 Coops Page
So about 9 months ago I decided I would stop supporting "the egg industry" and start raising my own chickens...one problem...I lived in a small apartment! hahahaha...so I finally have a house; we closed on it mid April/2011. We had to do many things in the house before "coop time", so finally I got to start in the back yard...and the coop. It will be an open coop and run "combo" 5' wide x 10 ' long x 5'5" tall (give and take...with room to grow) (coop will be 5'wx4Lx4t).
I have 0, none, nada, zip wood working skills...so If I can do it...anyone can!!! :)
Here are some pics of the backyard and the coop location before...we selected this area due to the shade and the wooden fence that would protect the N side of the coop.
...and after (bad thing about shady spots....lots of roots!!!!
Made my 1st cuts of the legs of the coop and the run base.
Moved the coop outside as it was going to get to heavy soon for me and my 13yo son to move. (Learned my 1st lesson ...Lesson 1- not only level the coop's area, also level the area that you will be working on the coop if not the same place!!!)Floor on and starting the Wall's frame. I used 3/4" plywood for the floor since I may decide to use sand inside the coop itself also.
Simple Wall framing....2x4's L shaped on the corners with a 6" high deference (no snow to worry about in FLA)
..and Run Framing
Wall on, hardwire on.... and coop getting ready to move into place.
Coop back into place. As you can see I have bricks buried on the N side of the coop since I wont be able to bury hard wire on that side due to the fence. For the rest of the coop I rested all corners on blocks an I made a 7" trench around the coop.
The roof is on. I used 3 Ondura Red corrugate roof panels. Here is the frame before the roof was secured and the wire was added between the 2x4s and the panels
The inside top ventilation before the window was added
The south Side before the window and nest boxes
Nest boxes added and some trim work started...they boxes are 12.5" w x 13 tall x 12.5 deep and they now have door to get the eggs from the outside and linoleum floors
Here is the coop almost completed. Needs the locks for the nest boxes and to trim the run area
Since this picture the linoleum of the far wall was removed and the rest has been leveled to the floor and walls
The east side
The locks that will secure the run door and both nest boxes doors/
I have a feeder that will hang in the run and I will be making a 2gal water w nipple system. The chicks are currently using a rabbit bottle in the brooder so they should be ok.
The future residents:
...and their current home!
More to come!!!
- The Little Red Barn
- › So.... is this unusual? Cat and peacock 6 minutes ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 8 minutes ago
- › Day Old Black Copper Marans Chicks 13 minutes ago
- › Our introduction to keeping chickens, the high's, the lows and pics... 17 minutes ago
- › Stella's Social Club 18 minutes ago
- › Australia - Six states..and that funny little island. 21 minutes ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 23 minutes ago
- › Brand new Chicky Mama here :) 25 minutes ago
- › Consolidated Kansas 25 minutes ago
- › Sex- linked Information 27 minutes ago
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by DeltaBluezTess
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill