Hatching Eggs 101
Edited on 5/21/13
- York Feather Factory-IncubatorEdited on 4/13/12
- High Explosives IncubatorEdited on 4/4/12
- Homemade Incubator
Alphabetical Article List
Doug The Chicken Man's Chicken Incubator
My Incubator Page
Ecco Friendly Incubator 1.1
Ecco Bator 1.2
Ecco bator 1.3
The Chickie Maker
Because Ecco Frinely Incubator 1.x wasn't broody when I needed it.
1 - Cooler 1 - Computer Fan 1 - Lamp base 1- 40 W Light bulb
1 - 12V Transformer 4 - Pill Bottles 2 - Electrical boxes 1 - Dimmer Switch
1 - Receptacle 1 - Plug in 1 - Plug in 1 - Receptacle Plate
Electrical Wire Hardware Cloth Jars of Water for Heat sinks Cans for water (humidity)
2 - Thermometers one with shoe lace long enough to reach the Can of water below. Hot glue gun with glue sticks.
Glass Caulking Duct tape 4- bolts and 8 Nuts to mount Fan with.Instructions
I started with cutting 4 holes out for the Pill bottles in order to act as ventilation hole I could control. There is an upper and lower hole opposite each other and beside each other. With the Pill bottles pushed in the holes I then hot glued them in. This should provide good cross ventilation.
I then drilled the hole for the base of the lamp to fit through the cooler at one end and mounted the lamp base in the cooler.
Next I mounted the fan to the cooler. I used 4 nuts to tighten up against the fan then 4 more to hold it out from the cooler. I ran the wires out of a vent hole that was close. I placed the fan in a position so that it would blow over the light bulb to distribute the heat.
Next I wired up the electrical boxes as displayed in the diagram below. I mounted them to a board in order to keep everything together. I chose a dimmer switch as I believe it will have the least variation in temp.
Cut the Hardware cloth to fit the cooler and leave room for the cans and Jars below.
in the lid I cut out an opening slightly smaller than the peice of glass that I had then hot gluedin and taped the edges to make it human friendly.
Picture of the inside of the incubator.
Lid of the incubator
Picture of Incubator Inside and the Electrical boxes.
Eggs in the Box for a test run.
Proof It worked.
We had 5 hatch successfully. Of the 14 that were in 8 were non starters and one died before it piped.
Things to change add a hose to the cans to refill them during lockdown.
Other than that It rocks the eggs. temp only varied by less that one degree. by placing the cans closer of further to the light or increasing the number or size or the cans I was able to easily get the humidity I was looking for.
- York Feather Factory-Incubator
- › Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE! 2 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 7 seconds ago
- › ~*~Survive The City: A stray Dog RP RESTARTED~*~ 19 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 37 seconds ago
- › Texas 44 seconds ago
- › Swedish Flower Hen Thread 49 seconds ago
- › The Last Wolves RP 1 minute ago
- › Easter Egger club! 1 minute ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 1 minute ago
- › ☺☻☺☻NEW SYFY RPG☺☻☺ 1 minute ago
- › Rhode Island by Chicken Goddess
- › Frizzle by TheCrazyClucker
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Bill`s Chicken Farm by BillysFlock
- › My Funny Farm! by anastasiamarie
- › My Golden Palace by MEMama3
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo