Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Echetino's Chicken Coop
Day one of the coop construction. Not as much progress as expected, but considering it's a design/build project, I'm pleased with what we've accomplished, and happy to be this much closer to getting some chickens!
Some of the posts were shorter than what I wanted so we put some of them on stilts!
Done for the day!
Well, I think the bulk of the hard stuff is behind us. Another day or two and we should have it ready for occupants!
About 90% complete but we decided to pick up a couple of chickens from the swap anyway.
The two new occupants can be seen under the hen-house.
Some trim and paint should finish the outside.
A couple of poo trays that will slide in and out from under the roosts will complete the inside.
Over time and over budget, but we are happy with the new addition and we hope the new occupants (Opal and Henrietta) are pleased.
Today we introduced Opal and Henrietta to their two new coop-mates (to be named later).
From Top to Bottom: Frank Iturriaga, Angie, Henrietta, Opal
All the chicks seem to be getting along well!
Next step is to be sure EVERYBODY can get along well.
They really seem to like avocado scraps.
Update: This site doesn't recommend feeding avocados to chickens because of the toxicity in the skin and pit.
Well, Opal (the white one) didn't survive. Bummer.
Anyway, we have gotten the occupancy up to 5 and that's where we're planning to keep it.
Clockwise from Left: Henrietta, Angie, Frank Iturriaga, Pepper
Opal 2 trying to assimilate with Henrietta, Frank Iturriaga, Pepper, and Angie
Henrietta and Frank Iturriaga
Opal 2 and Angie establishing the pecking order.
Angie, Henrietta, Opal2, and Frank Iturriaga
A little more progress on the coop. The poo-tray is in place today, I think it should catch about 90% of the sleep-time poo.
P.S. It's free if you want some.
I also got the windows secure so that I can open them up for cooling/ventilation.
And after a couple days since introducing Opal2, they are all starting to spend time together.
An updated picture of the line-up
Pepper, sitting on the fence.
A little more storage space:
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › Arizona Chickens 2 seconds ago
- › Hello from Georgia! 7 seconds ago
- › RANDOM STUFF! 16 seconds ago
- › NEW RP!!~Savannah Survival~RP *Accepting Players!!!* 22 seconds ago
- › The 2nd Rate the avatar of the person above you! 26 seconds ago
- › Nj Chicken Guy 30 seconds ago
- › The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome! 44 seconds ago
- › Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread 57 seconds ago
- › 8 is enough 58 seconds ago
- › What am I? 1 minute ago
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco