Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
I saw the call for coop designs and instructions on the coop page, so here is mine.
I had an old metal shed 6.5 by 6.5 by about 5' high. The sides were very rusted and holey but the frame was really sound. We put plywood over the sides and re-fit the bottom boards to be tight. We added two roosts, one about 18" high and one about 3' high. The chickens hop up onto the lower one and then always sleep on the higher one.
For the chicken door, we used 2 by 4's to frame out a 12" by 12" hole in the side. A piece of plywood completely covers the hole, locks at the top, and acts as a little ramp for the chickens.
The door also locks. An old single-pane window in the door faces east. A small piece of plywood about 4" high is just inside the door in order to keep the shavings in. I use 1 bale of pine shavings to start, then add another bale, then when that gets nasty, I clean it all out.
The feeder hangs from a nail on a ceiling board. The waterer sits on a small pedestal.
The part I am most proud of is the nest box/isolation ward. This was a kitchen cupboard that I got at a local custom kitchen place for FREE. It is about 30" by 30". We divided it into 4 "cubbies", 2 of which are for nest boxes and 2 of which are for isolation/introduction wards. We attached the cupboard to the outside of the shed using big long screws. On the inside of the coop, we used a 2 by 6 as a "perch" so the chickens could jump up from the floor to the roost, then either go in the bottom compartment or jump on up to the higher compartment. All of the compartments have small pieces of fiberboard (about 2" high by 10" long) on the outside edge to keep eggs from rolling out when I open the doors. The doors close and latch against predators.
I used welded wire (1/2" by 1/2" on the inside of the other two compartments for the isolation wards. The 2 by 6 shelf is where food and water can go. They are kind of small for full-grown hens but OK for night-time isolation. The hen in isolation can still see and hear the others who are on the roosts. This area is opened for ventilation when it is hot.
Inside of coop:
Nest Boxes from the outside:
Coop from the outside:
Another full picture:
I currently have 7 hens in this coop although I did have 7 hens and 1 rooster for a while. Based on square footage, I could have a couple more but this number worked well all winter (when they didn't come out for 2 months) without them killing each other! 2 nest boxes has been enough, though they sometimes yell at each other to HURRY UP!
- The Little Red Barn
- › Freeranging in Waleska GA 4 seconds ago
- › New Mommy Baby Chick has Swollen Bottom 12 seconds ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 34 seconds ago
- › What do you use for nesting floor? 38 seconds ago
- › ***Describe that chicken*** 40 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 59 seconds ago
- › Pigeon Fanciers 1 minute ago
- › ☺☻☺☻NEW SYFY RPG☺☻☺ 1 minute ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 1 minute ago
- › Finish this sentence: "You know you're addicted to chickens when..." 1 minute ago
- › Rhode Island by Chicken Goddess
- › Frizzle by TheCrazyClucker
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › My Funny Farm! by anastasiamarie
- › My Golden Palace by MEMama3
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens