Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Gregc_Backyardchickens's Chicken Coop
The girls discovered snow today and decided not to venture far from the coop.
Our story in brief:
I was sitting in the backyard one morning last spring, sipping coffee and gazing at the few green shoots of grass then visible when my son's abandoned wooden swing set caught my eye. I looked at the 4x4x8 ft wooden play tower and thought to myself. "Now there's a perfect frame for a chicken coop". I never drew up any detailed plans, just stripped down the play tower and reused the wood along with some scrap wood from some old basement shelves and a bit of new wood from the lumber yard to put together a two story coop big enough for four chickens. The side yard was added after a couple of months using a portable dog yard we got off the local freecycle list. We got the roof shingles off freecycle too.
There's a 40 watt shop light hanging in one front corner for those short winter days as well as a 100 watt ceramic heater in the light socket you can see through the window (double-paned plexiglass) to take the chill off those really cold new England winter nights (thermostat is set for 20 degrees F). I insulated it with 3/4 in foam board covered with luan on the inside. The coop is boarded up tight for winter but the sides and back are hinged and can be opened up in warmer weather. You can see one corner of the nest box in the back. It runs the length of the back side.
Here's how it looked in the beginning when the chicks were still keeping warm in a box in the basement.
There must be millions of these wooden swing sets just waiting to be converted into coops!
- The Little Red Barn
- › Pekin Duck Club! 4 seconds ago
- › The Last Wolves RP 10 seconds ago
- › Boys VS girls (Never stops!) 11 seconds ago
- › When do Roosters start to crow? 17 seconds ago
- › Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread 21 seconds ago
- › Slaves/Master RP (Restart) 33 seconds ago
- › Barnevelder breeders lets work together and improve the breed 35 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 51 seconds ago
- › Japanese Bantam Thread! 58 seconds ago
- › The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread 1 minute ago
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › Barnevelder by scwheeler24
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P