Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Gryeyes's Chicken Coop
GryEyes' First Coop - A Tractor!
I had no carpentry skills when I began this project, and many would say I still don't. [grin] But now I own a power drill and a circular saw, and I've been using them. The chicken coop/tractor is a little wonky and I'm not quite done with it, but I don't think the chickens I haven't gotten yet will mind.
Here's the ventilation "cupola" I hammered together. I was worried that the plans I was TRYING to follow didn't provide any ventilation (other than the places where there were gaps, but that's bad construction, not PLANNING). I'm sure I can build something better, later, but this will do for right now.
Here's some detail of the hardware used for the "egg collection" hatch and door to the lower pen area. I decided no raccoon would be able to open a twist-closure carabiner, so that's what I use to secure the latch. This weekend I'll be attaching the wire enclosure for the bottom pen.
Those pole things poking through the plywood are the "handles" which are supposed to allow two people to move the tractor, but I live alone, so that's gonna be interesting. Still, they were in the plans, and I might have a friend help, some day... so they're there.
This is the back side, showing the portion where I put the plywood all the way down to the ground in one corner, per the instructions I found elsewhere on BYC. (Chickens will run to a corner to escape racoons, instead of gathering in the middle, away from all walls; if the walls are only wire or hardware cloth, claws could still damage the huddled chickens. This gives them a secure corner when they're downstairs.)
And this is the ramp to the upstairs, with a wire threaded through the floor and up through the top "V" of the roof, to haul the ramp up at night and close the floor hatch.
I've placed linoleum on the upstairs, inside floor since the above photo was taken. I'll be using deep litter, so I'm also putting a little rail around the hatch opening to help keep the litter inside.
Temptation at checking out chicks "ahead of time" at a feed store proved too great; I bought four, each a different breed. I was sensible enough to buy "older" chicks for those I could - about a week old. But there were no older chicks in the Brahma brooder, so one of my new peeps was only 2 days old. By the time I had them five days, the 3 older chicks had names: Rhoda, Rebecca and Hilary. The temporary name for the baby is "FuzzButt."
(More to follow as I learn how to use this page feature.)
- The Little Red Barn
- › Word game "Change one letter" 20 seconds ago
- › Really stupid question 27 seconds ago
- › Duck Names 35 seconds ago
- › Rooster help 3 minutes ago
- › Added 3 new chicks today. 3 minutes ago
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 3 minutes ago
- › Hello - new to all this 3 minutes ago
- › What did your chickens do today? 4 minutes ago
- › Canker and swallen chicken face :( 4 minutes ago
- › The Front Porch Swing 4 minutes ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles