Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Happyclams's Chicken Coop
I have been asking and trying to get chickens for at least five years. For my birthday this year my wife decided she was ready for chickens!
We got two Ameraucana (Hemingway and Mr.Greene) and one Plymouth Barred Rock (Imelda). After the ladies were a couple weeks old, I got to work on building a coop (later than I should have). I was going to build from the ground up, but then we got the idea to convert an existing "box structure" to a coop.
An old hutch/entertainment center seemed to be big enough for us, with existing doors to clean it out and side areas to work as nesting boxes. We looked at Salvation Army and Goodwill and found something that would work well.
I put holes as entry passage (approxiamte 10"x12") to the nesting boxes,
added roosts using brackets made for a clothes closet rack (one about 16" off the ground and the second about 12" above that and 9" forward),
made an chicken size door to the outside world (also about 10"x12")
Built a little ladder and a sliding door with a bottom lip to prevent others from getting in.
Constructed a feeder based on this one and built a roof for it. We placed it on some pallets on top of an existing raised concrete bed.
- The Little Red Barn
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 13 seconds ago
- › Top Ten Endangered Chickens In The Usa 1 minute ago
- › Australia - Six states..and that funny little island. 1 minute ago
- › I need help! 2 minutes ago
- › planting marigolds 3 minutes ago
- › Wheezing/Breathing Weird! Help ASAP please! Something stuck in... 3 minutes ago
- › The IMPORTED ENGLISH Orpington Thread 3 minutes ago
- › 1 dozen OEGB eggs NPIP full blooded, mixed dozen. will let you... 4 minutes ago
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 4 minutes ago
- › User info very limited on mobile view 6 minutes ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh
- › Hello every one! by Sandstorm495