Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Harrisville Chicken's Chicken Coop
The coop has a 4'x8' footprint. 8' tall (sloping one way to 6' on the short side.) The coop is about 4'x'4 floor space raised 3' feet off the ground. They have access by chicken ladder underneath the coop through a doorway in the floor. I have since added some 2x4 roosts to the run area (one under the coop and another to the left of the human door.)
Food and water are under the coop. Two of the walls under the coop are plywood, rather than wire for a little more weather protection from the wind/rain or hot sun on the south and west sides.
A 18"x12" nesting box is shared by our four hens. You can see two plastic eggs and a Easter Egger's blue egg.
Two 2x4's up high are just right for the two Easter Eggers to roost on--they're removable for cleaning days.
On the left you can see the lower roosts for the bantams, who don't always like to jump up to the higher roosts. I've removed them now, they proved to be unnecessary.
In the summer, we open the coop for cooler nights. In the winter we close it. A vent (partially visible) above this door helps with ventilation along with the always-open door in the floor on the opposite side. We have a foot of space available on the floor for pine pellets to absorb the moisture out of the droppings. I never have problems with odors.
The egg door, accessible from the patio (no muddy feet for us.)
- The Little Red Barn
- › Freeranging in Waleska GA 4 seconds ago
- › New Mommy Baby Chick has Swollen Bottom 12 seconds ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 34 seconds ago
- › What do you use for nesting floor? 38 seconds ago
- › ***Describe that chicken*** 40 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 59 seconds ago
- › Pigeon Fanciers 1 minute ago
- › ☺☻☺☻NEW SYFY RPG☺☻☺ 1 minute ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 1 minute ago
- › Finish this sentence: "You know you're addicted to chickens when..." 1 minute ago
- › Rhode Island by Chicken Goddess
- › Frizzle by TheCrazyClucker
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › My Funny Farm! by anastasiamarie
- › My Golden Palace by MEMama3
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens