Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Jon Adams Chicken Coop
submitted by the Adams' family in Redmond, Washington
We decided to build a combination shed/chicken coop in our back yard. The biggest requirement by my wife was that it be 'cute' and match the look and feel of our house. My requirements were simple: I wanted plenty of room for my lawn equipment and garden tools, and ample space for about 10 chickens.
The end result was a 10' x 14' stick framed building with a pitched roof that would match our house in shingle material and pitch. I built a dividing wall inside with a door that sections off a 4' x 10' area which seems to be plenty of room for the chickens. Outside, I attached a 10' x 10' fenced in pen for the chickens to be in during the day when they are not free-ranging.
Now, I've built a deck before and some other 'small' projects but I had never built anything "3 dimensional" or this big. I started in mid-February, and working mainly weekends, finished in about late April. If I can do this, then anyone can. It was fun, interesting and very, very rewarding.
I have gotten a lot of information from this website and thought I'd give a little back. You'll see in the pictures that I built the same laying boxes mentioned on this website and the chickens seem to love them. The 'girls' are only 13 weeks old now but on occasion hop up to the boxes and look around, just as if they know what they are for.
For anyone thinking of having some backyard chickens I can only say GO FOR IT! They have been so much fun for my wife and myself - not to mention my 8 and 5 year old.
[ click any image to enlarge - use your 'back' button to return ]
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 1 minute ago
- › Hen or a Roo? Breed please help 1 minute ago
- › Pygmy Goats 1 minute ago
- › The Legbar Thread! 1 minute ago
- › Silkie thread! 2 minutes ago
- › CALIFORNIA The Whole State thread 2 minutes ago
- › GLW and EE roo?? 3 minutes ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 5 minutes ago
- › Murray McMurray mystery chick 6 minutes ago
- › What breed? 9 minutes ago
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by LeslieDJoyce
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Barred Rock by techpeak
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper