Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Kat's Silly Chickens's Chicken Coop
Kat's Silly ChickensWe decided to get chickens after Mom saw a white chicken with fluff on it's head on TV. That was August 30th 2010, and 2 weeks later we picked up 6 chicks from Ideal Poultry. 2 Sultans, 2 Partridge Cochins, 2 Barred Rocks. The smallest Sultan passed 4 days later, and I felt bad, so for 3 weeks I worked on convincing Dad to let us get Mom another Sultan. He finally agreed so we looked at the online order again and picked out not only 1 Bantam Sultan, but also a Blue Silkie, a Ginger/Red Silkie, and a Buff Silkie. Our Blue Silkie and our Ginger/Red Silkie both turned out to be Roosters and I found them a nice home to go to with many Silkie hens. After we got home we found we had the Sultan, the Blue Silkie, a Buff/Red Silkie, and some Unknown Bantam. She Turned out to be a Black-Tail Buff Japanese Bantam. We knew we had to keep the unknown 1, but emailed and called Ideal about their mistake anyways. So that is my story of how we came to raise chickens.
Our converted coop and run is still a work in progress...
My Jack Russell checking out the chicken run Inside coop from door
inside the coop Added another section on the run
Front view of Run Addition Side view of Run Addition
I will be adding Winter hardy Texas native plants throughout the Summer...
Chickens checking out the run
Elwen and Delwyn are my Plymouth Rock Chicks (pullets)
Our eggs layers
they are 7 months 1 week old now and love attention, especially a back scratch...
I also had a Silkie named Cinnabar my inside pet is now 9 wks old
can't forget Cinnabar's Fluffy Butt
Cinnabar I'm going to really miss you...
Melody is Mom's 7 months 1 w/o Sultan, and she is so lovable. She also has Sunshine a 4 w/o Bantam? Sultan ROOSTER
Sunshine is 6 months old He got his baby crow at 9 wks, but it sount more like someone stepped on a squeeky toy...
Blaze a Blue Silkie at 4 wks old and at 9 wks old Rooster . Mom's inside pets
Blaze is in a petting zoo now.
Bar-b and Que are my Dad's 7 month 1 w/o Partridge Cochins
Our other eggs layers
Bar-b is our broody raising 2 Silkie chicks at the moment.
And Goldie 6 month old Black Tail Buff Japanese Bantam and her at 9 wks old she's becoming so beautiful - dad's inside pet
Goldie passed away 07/17/11, we think the 100+ temps got to her
The cage for the 3 not so Winter Hardy chicks a 7'L X 3'W X 4'H design I built myself. Going to destruct the inside pen for materials for the outside coop. Dad is building a 4'L X 3'W X 30"H insulated coop for the Sultans and Japanese Bantams. It will be set up beside the house so the Sultan Roo won't be heard so easily.
We had to put the inside chickens outside in a 3' X 4' coop with a 3' X 11' run.
Our Sugar Gliders Supio, Ailin, and Airrianna
Bar-b went broody and on 3/27/11 I put 12 fertile eggs under her to help a friend of mine hatch some of her Silkie and Mille Fleur D'uccle eggs. We're hoping for hens so we can keep at least 2 Silkie and 2 Mille Fleur D'uccle.
Got 1 hatchling on 3/28/11 a Silkie that is a Partridge color.
Got 1 hatchling on 3/29/11 a Silkie that is a White color. Blanc passed away, we think a rat snake may be the blame.
Patiently waiting for more eggs to hatch.
I just got into the Incubator Craze, I keep eggs in the bator, some for me and some for Mallary. (Silkies, Mille Fleur, RIR, Sultan/Jap Bantam, Copper Marans, and Ameraucana)...
I have 9 Sultan/Jap Bantam in the coop, waiting for the last 3 to hatch... After that Our new breed ends.
Japanese Sultan chick -------------------Japanese Sultan Hen
Japanese sultan Rooster
So far 4 Mille Fleur D'Uccle hens out with Bar-b, they are doing well.
Blackberry 1st Mille Fleur D'Uccle 04/06/11-------- Lemon 2nd Mille Fleur D'Uccle 04/09/11
Also Blueberry 3rd Mille Fleur D'Uccle, and Lime 4th Mille Fleur D'Uccle all hens I'm keeping.
My Granddaughter Emily named them, she said they were fruity.
I'm hatching some Copper Marams and Ameraucanas to get some more LF for eggs.
I'll have 2 BR, 2 Cochin, 2 Maran, 2 Ameraucana, 4 Mille Fleur, 3 Japanese Sultan, 3 Silkie all hens, and 1 Japanese Sultan Roo.
Mom wants to keep 1 of Goldies roos to try and keep the breed going. to the next-door neighbor that doesn't like roos.
My chicken math is way off... I'm going to keep adding eggs from Mallary's flock to help her get more chickens hatched...
I think I am hooked on Chickens...
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › Outdoor chicken Fencing height! 3 seconds ago
- › Chicken with disheveled feathers 40 seconds ago
- › Yet another ventilation question. 41 seconds ago
- › RANDOM STUFF! 43 seconds ago
- › Help - I've broken my chickens!! 1 minute ago
- › Dual purpose hens 1 minute ago
- › favorite type of meat bird? 1 minute ago
- › Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing) 1 minute ago
- › Moving a setting hen? 2 minutes ago
- › for $10 would you? 2 minutes ago
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Leghorn by DavidKerk
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel