Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
ks_twin_mom's Member Page
My name is Kathleen and I live in St George, Kansas with my husband and b/g twins, Sam and Annie.
We live on 5 small acres and will be getting some other farm animals but started with chickens. I have been reading this website for useful information and we used a LOT of it to create our coop and run. Then I began looking for some laying hens. I fell into a "starter" set with a mixed batch of 7 hens and 1 rooster. Now I was pretty sure I didn't need or want a rooster but when I met him... my mind was changed! He .. Mr. Big Jim... is a wonderful, calm, regal and gorgeous Buff Orpington. He loves his ladies too so I couldn't separate them!
We've had them one full day and have gotten 5 eggs already! They seem happy to be here!
We built the coop with the plans of getting 4-5 laying hens - 7 is a bit much but we now have plans to put up some fencing for them.
Take a look and see what you think!
Getting the project started....
The twins help get the measurements right....
Annie is checking the nesting box lid...yep, it will work
Got the run on and almost all painted!
The backside showing the nesting boxes
Here is the coop outside set up with the new brood checking it out... (we added a large vent on the front due to something I read on here!)
Behind the shop and under the big ol' tree for shade. Notice the "raised grass beds" with hail screen over it, at the end of the run.
Also another brilliant tip from someone on this website!
This way they can eat some grass but not scratch up the dirt below...so far it's working GREAT!
Big Jim wondering "What are YOU looking at?"
Some of the girls ~ 6 full size (3 Rhode Island Reds, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Ameraucana and 1 Australorp) and 1 Banty
Big Jim and the girls
Learning how to use the chicken watering nipples ~ piece of cake! The 3 Reds caught on first...
HAPPY CHICKENS make:
Buddy the Chocolate Lab (thinks he's human...)
The twins - Annie and Sam
and one LARGE garden - yum, yum!!
Kansas sunsets ROCK!!
- The Little Red Barn
- › Gender questions 7 seconds ago
- › The Q&A Game! 15 seconds ago
- › My hens all have gone broody and one hatched a chick now what? 32 seconds ago
- › What Rabbits Do You Have? Show Off Your Rabbits Here! 46 seconds ago
- › What Breeds do you think she is? 57 seconds ago
- › What is this chicken thinking? 1 minute ago
- › Yum or Yuck? 1 minute ago
- › Will my chickens tear up my backyard? 1 minute ago
- › State a fact about yourself! 2 minutes ago
- › Confused???? New to this Chicken thing what do I have? 2 minutes ago
- › Brabanter by mtmimi777
- › Orpington (Buff)-319 by marvun22
- › Indian Runner by marvun22
- › Rouen by marvun22
- › Khaki Campbell by marvun22
- › Pekin by marvun22
- › Bantam-Cochin by ChickenRaiser95
- › Cream Legbar originally bred by R. C. Punnett by KPenley
- › Silkie by Chickie Mama
- › Brahma by Chickie Mama
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper
- › Cozy Coop in Cape by ShamSham
- › Poor Man's Chicken Coop for zero dollars by IceAngel
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara
- › New to web site. Need advise on how to help... by Marie Joye
- › My foray into chicken ownership by Katcynth
- › My six chicks!!!!! So cute by My Six Chicks
- › Hatching<3 by Nike
- › Blue and Whie Delight by 12chickenlover3
- › Coop La Fiesta by jpruett86