Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Lispnik's Chicken Coop
Our journey into backyard chickens began with an abandoned chick, crossing a busy road.
We didn't know much about chickens, but we discovered quickly that chicks grow fast and the shoe box was becoming unsuitable. The first coop was 4x3x1.5 made out of left over wire mesh. Unfortunately it was not robust enough to defend against our dogs.
After a trip to the vets to fix up Fluffy's injuries, here he/she is hanging out in the garden:
Construction on coop v2 begins. I was going for an A-frame tractor coop based on some designs I'd seen on the BYC coop pages. The diagonal sides are 4 feet and the base is 5x8.
Then I decided it needed to be higher:
A third of the length is devoted to the roosting/laying area:
The sides open outwards for easy access to the eggs and for cleaning:
The side has a door for general access:
Added an opening for the roosting/laying area. I'm not sure how big a chicken gets, but if I need to widen it, I believe I can cut the left post down and widen it:
For meshing, I used 1/2" hardware cloth. I like this better than chicken wire because the small gaps make it difficult for the dogs to get any leverage. Also it is rigid, easy to work with and looks OK.
Fluffy chilling out in the coop:
Fluffy has two new buddies: Zsa Zsa and Gabor (Cochicanaus):
Still need a few more things done:
- Need to build some roosting racks and boxes.
- Some hanging feeders/waterers
- Wheels (it's supposed to a tractor after all)
- Seal the roost so it can be cleaned out easily.
- More chickens!
- The Little Red Barn
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 17 seconds ago
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 25 seconds ago
- › sex my silkie please! 33 seconds ago
- › Consolidated Kansas 42 seconds ago
- › Arizona Chickens 1 minute ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 1 minute ago
- › My little pony - the unseen episodes... 1 minute ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 1 minute ago
- › Feeding pigeons when and how much? 1 minute ago
- › The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome! 2 minutes ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh