Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Maran Pallet Coop II - from Fat Matt's Poultry Farm
Pallet Coop II
This is a single coop that we are building for the Marans. We started with a 4 x 8 pallet on the bottom and covered it with another 4x8 pallet. OSB was then put on the top of the pallet, sealed with paint and vinyl asphalt tiles glued down.
The back is made out of a 4x8 pallet and both sides are 4xalmost4 pallets. We attach them together using 3" screws and attach to the floor by toe-nailing with 3" nails.
The front is a 3x5'6" side of a shipping crate. This leaves an opening of 2'6" for the door on the front. We have a side of a shipping crate that with a little additional work will make a great door for the coop (it is leaning against the front in the picture).
We will wrap the whole coop in the 48" chicken wire (purchased for $15, partial roll) and re-enforce the top one foot of the coop with 1/2 hardware cloth. You can see the siding already covering the bottom portion of the coop, it will go up halfway on all sides (given to me from a construction site).
The roof was then put on, it is a 4x8 pallet with a piece of OSB attached to it. We will cover it with a recycled billboard sign material (tarp). We added a piece of wood (4"x4"x2") to each side on the front top to make the roof slope to the rear of the coop.
Everything used is recycled materials. The only purchases were:
partial roll of 48" chicken wire $15
Screws 3" $2.85
Nails 3" $3.15
1/2"x1/2"x25' Hardware Cloth $15
We will update the page as we finish the project for the Marans!
Here are some updated pictures of the Maran coop that has welsummers in it at the moment...HeHe!! These pictures show the siding we used over the chicken wire and the attached yard.
- The Little Red Barn
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 7 seconds ago
- › Ameraucana thread for posting pictures and discussing our birds 10 seconds ago
- › Yum or Yuck? 11 seconds ago
- › Questions about Raising Ducklings! Please help! 23 seconds ago
- › Prairie Chickens and Legality? 48 seconds ago
- › Feather meal? Blood meal? 1 minute ago
- › Australia - Six states..and that funny little island. 1 minute ago
- › Coop size for 4 peas 1 minute ago
- › California - Northern 1 minute ago
- › Help! Chipped duck bill. 1 minute ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › The All New: How to Train Your Chicken! by darwinchooks
- › Coop de' Cluck by Sherryalaska
- › BackYard Chickens Starter Kit Price Guide by support
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem