Hatching Eggs 101
Edited on 5/21/13
- York Feather Factory-IncubatorEdited on 4/13/12
- High Explosives IncubatorEdited on 4/4/12
- Homemade Incubator
Alphabetical Article List
Ncchixlady's Chicken Incubator - Materials, Proceedure And Pictures!
My son (with help) built a homemade incubator for his 5th grade science fair project...
Water Heater Thermostat
Plug with 2 or 3 Feet of Wire
40 Watt Light Bulb
2 Half Inch Plastic Clamps
Fertile Hatching Eggs
Two Jars with Water
8x10 Piece of Glass
The materials assembled...
1. Gathered materials. Had some items at home. Spent $71.26 at Lowes Hardware on remaining materials.
2. Drilled four holes – two for ventilation and two for turning rod.
3. Cut cooler lid and installed glass
4. Placed pan in bottom of cooler and put four sponges in pan.
5. Cut and formed mesh wire and inserted it into cooler.
6. Cut bottom out of wooden box and attached mesh wire to bottom.
7. Inserted rod and wooden box through holes in cooler.
8. Glued two pvc pipes with caps into holes for air flow.
9. Installed light fixture with bulb.
10. Installed pc fan.
11. Installed thermostat.
12. Filled two baby food jars with water and put them in incubator.
13. Added water to pan and plugged in incubator.
14. Monitored temperature and humidity to make sure everything worked.
15. Went to a farm and picked up eggs.
16. Weighed and candled eggs, numbered eggs one to twelve and labeled sides x and o.
17. Put eggs in incubator on March 18, which started day zero.
18. On days one through seventeen I checked temperature, humidity and turned three times a day: in the morning before school, in the afternoon after school, & at night before bed.
19. On day eight, fourteen, and eighteen, I candled and weighed the eggs and documented and took out any eggs that were not developing.
Outside of incubator...
Hose for adding water without having to open incubator...
Inside of incubator...
View from above...
Chicks numbered and marked and ready to go in. There are 3 RIR and 9 Dominique...
All settled in...
The elusive "water wiggler" toy (finding this might have been the hardest part of this project)...
Day 14, we had two that didn't develop... one had a bloodring...
On Day 19, little chick #9 started to pip...
Eight hours later, it finally popped out of the top...
Checking out the new, bigger digs...
There is a video of the chick coming out of the shell here...
We turned the eggs three times a day. Our temp dropped as low as 98.2 and went as high as 105 for a brief time. Average temp was in the 99-100 range. Humidity stayed in the high 30's during the entire time. The highest we were able to get it was 41%, even in these last days of hatching.
Thus far (we're on Day 20), out of 12 eggs, two did not make it and were removed at Day 14, the one little chick hatched and the second has unzipped and is trying to get out. A 3rd chick has poked a little hole out of the side.
We candled on days 1, 8, 14 and 18. Eggs ranged in weight on day one from 1.9 ounces to 2.3 ounces. Only one egg had lost weight by day 8. Day 14 had seen lots of changes. The 2.3 ounce egg weighed 2.1 ounces. Most eggs had lost 2/10's of an ounce.
- York Feather Factory-Incubator
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 8 seconds ago
- › Loud guineas 19 seconds ago
- › From chickenless to chickens in less than 5 days! 20 seconds ago
- › Slaves/Master RP (Restart) 34 seconds ago
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 40 seconds ago
- › day 21 and i can hear faint cheeping 57 seconds ago
- › @Monsters@ rp (anyone invited!) 1 minute ago
- › The Old Folks Home 1 minute ago
- › Hatch-A-Long (May-June) 1 minute ago
- › Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition 1 minute ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles