- (2) old drawers with identical measurements
- (2) hinges
- (4) metal tabs (rectangle with 2 holes)
- (1) L shaped bracket
- (1) 1" one hole strap
- (1) drawer handle or knob
- (1) LG auto turner
- (1) small deadbolt
- (1) lamp kit
- (1) CPU fan
- (1) AC adapter
- (1) light socket plug
- (1) extension cord
- (1) surge protective power strip
- (1) 15w lightbulb
- (1) 11w lightbulb
- (1) roll foil insulation
- (1) roll foil insulation tape
- (1) strip of 1" oak trim
- (1) section of holey plastic gutter guard
- (2) plexi-glass window panes
- (1) rubber door stopper
- (1) 1" vinyl tubing (several inches)
- (1) refillable plastic ketchup bottle
- (1) plastic butter dish top
- (1) Rubbermaid container lid
- (1) Nut and bolt
- Short wood screws
- wood glue (optional)
- Electrical hand saw
- Sheet Metal snippers
- Power drill - various sized bits
I recently removed a "permanent" desk from in our kitchen. I was left with a bunch of drawers that had been stapled together, leaving me unable to take them apart to use the individual boards. Not sure of what I would do with them, they joined my pile of "to fiddle with later" supplies, which housed fragments of an old entertainment unit I had dismantled the week before. Eventually I came to the conclusion that I might just be able to hobble together an incubator. This is what I came up with.
Two drawers happened to be exactly the same size. When I stacked them together, they made a nice sized box. I used two galvanized hinges to connect them, as well as the little dead bolt lock in the front to help ensure it wouldn't get knocked open somehow.The handle is from my old entertainment unit, and was bolted to the lid for easy opening and closing.
The left and the right sides both have two ventilation holes, while the front has three. I also put holes to the left and right of the viewing window on the lid for some upper circulation. On the back of the unit I have secured a rubber knob so that when I open the lid, it doesn't fall back on itself and smash all of my wires. The Fan wires run out of the back.
I cut out foil insulation in exact sizes for each interior wall, and each piece was taped into place using foil insulation tape.
I added the second lightbulb on this side because when the thermostat turned the other light off, the temperature fluctuated wildly. I also wanted to be able to maintain a more even heat. This light is a lesser wattage (11w), and I have it running constantly. It is in a socket that has a plug directly on the other end of it. This is connected into an extension cord, which I've got taped down to hold it in place.
The temperature inside the egg has been hovering between 99-101. I don't think I can get better than that.
I will be putting my first batch of eggs into this incubator on April 1st -- not an April Fool's Joke!
There will be 6+ Porcelain D'Uccles, in hopes of introducing the lavender gene to my flock.