Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Orpstralope's Chicken Coop
Mountain Bird Chicken Farm
I'm a college student at Appalachian State University that raises some chickens up in the mountains. I've got 3 Buff Orps, 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, 2 Black Australopes, 3 Plymouth Barred Rocks, 7 Red Sex-Links,and 4 White Leghorns. This is the first time I've ever raised chickens and i've had fun. Check back for updates (Next: automatic door)
So after receiving a pet chicken from a friend, a small black banty, I decided I had to get more of these fantastic birds and build what I though was a coop...
After I realized that eight pullets (Black Australorps, Buff Orps, Barred Rocks, and SLW's) could only live in this 5x5 cage for so long, I decided to expand my coop to my shed.
Here's a picture of the outside of my shed, or chicken coop.
This is a picture of the inside of the coop when it was divided in half by old windows for doors. Below are the expansion pictures are available.
At this point the barn was still under construction and in need of more work. Here's another picture of the pullets at around 13 weeks:
As they started to get a little bigger I started to think about expansion and nesting materials, here are a few of the recycled wood net boxes I made. Pretty much everything for the original coop, nest boxes, and other materials were recycled from old barns.The roof is backwards on the first picture....my first time building a nesting box.
Not long after I finished the nesting box I expanded the coop to the entire shed (no longer cut in half by glass panels), These next pictures are at about 24 weeks for the original hens.
I realized I had to get more, so I got in touch with someone and added 11 chickens to my flock - red Sex Links and White Leghorns.
Another Turkey Feeder, with oyster shell in the other smaller feeder. The water on the left is filled with Apple Cider Vinegar (it's getting cold and the automatic waterers would freeze)
These are the new Plasson Auto waterers that I only got to use for 3 days until the weather hit rock bottom. The next pic is of the plumbing and aux. water lines I installed for the waterers.
Here's some pics of the birds in the yard before the snow hit:
Here's my White Leghorn Rooster
And Another (thank you photoshop):
On 12/5/09 We had our first snow, here are a few pics from that day and the next:
Roo and his ladies:
Some of the Barred's and Buff's ^, Girls eating eggs in their new turkey feeders:
Barred Rock Hen:
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › cochin/polish chicks not growing????? help!!!!!! 1 second ago
- › GRAPHIC PICS of my day learning to caponize 4 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 31 seconds ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 38 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 40 seconds ago
- › Boys VS girls (Never stops!) 42 seconds ago
- › Processing Day Support Group ~ HELP us through the Emotions PLEASE! 1 minute ago
- › Utah! 1 minute ago
- › silkie sexing 1 minute ago
- › Official BYC Contest: 200,000 BYC Members? Guess the DAY & HOUR and... 2 minutes ago
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper
- › Cozy Coop in Cape by ShamSham
- › Poor Man's Chicken Coop for zero dollars by IceAngel
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara
- › New to web site. Need advise on how to help... by Marie Joye