Our Coop/ Hen House and Run
I have started building, what I think of as a "monster size" coop and run. Its finished dimensions will be 320 sq ft (8' x 40') coop and a 480 sq ft (16' x 30') run. The coop will be divided into 4 equal areas, 1 for each of the 3 breeds of chickens I have, and the 4th area will be for feed, storage, and incubating. The run will be divided into 3 equal areas, 1 for each breed.
I am running electricity and water to the coop from my houses breaker box and water supply. I started by digging the 100ft ditch 18+ in, well below the local frost line, using a ditch witch/digger. I "T'd" off on my water line and ran the pvc to where the coop is going. I installed a breaker in my breaker box and and ran 10-2 out door wire also in the ditch to the coop.
I then installed a water hydrant and a water proof outdoor outlet.
I then built the outside framing for the floor using 4x4 posts and 2x6@8ft and I used 2x6's as joists.
I then laid 4x8 3/4 in "Advantech" ply wood and covered the frame for the floor.
I then began the stick framing for the walls using different length 2x4's depending on the height of the walls. The front walls are going to be 8' and the end and rear walls will be 7'. So the vert. studs I got precut.
I drew my plans using MS Paint, I divided my plans into 8' sections. I found it easier to build it in 8' panels. Each panel was built a little different. There is a total of 12 panels, #1-#5 is the front wall, #1 being the front left panel, #5 the front right panel, #6 is the right end panel w/ door, #7-#11 is the back wall,#7 the rear right panel,and so forth. #12 is the left end panel w/ window. Here is a copy is of the drawing I use the build said panels.
Panel # 6
I finished framing out the exterior walls using precut 92 5/8" 2x4's and 8' 2x4's.
I framed out 1 window at the far end of the coop, where I will be mounting a box fan, to vent out hot stale air from inside the coop. I also framed out 4 windows on the back wall of the coop and 1 on the front to draw in fresh air during the summer. When finished the all will have hinged plywood shudders to keep out cold air in the winter.
I also framed out the partitioning walls and doors leading from one section to another. The dividing walls and doors will be covered with chicken wire. To allow plenty of ventilation through out.
After farming out the walls, I added a second(top plate)2x4 along the top of the walls, over lapping the seams of the 8' x 8' wall panels to help strengthen the walls.
I began putting up the 7/16 OSB sheeting on the exterior walls. I tell you that was not an easy task by myself.
After the plywood was up I then cut out all the windows and chicken doors.
Once the windows and door was cut out I cut put up the rafters.
Next the roofing went on.
Once the roofing was done I built the doors, window shutters, and hung them.
I began working on the inside when the roof, windows and door was up.
I started wiring the inside. I installed a breaker box, four light fixtures with pull strings, two double gang out lets, light switch, and wired it all with 14-2 indoor wire.
In addition I cut a 100ft garden hose to measured lengths and put fitting on either end of each piece. I ran one section through the wall of the coop attaching it to the water hydrant on one end, on the other end I attached a 4-way splitter. To three of the splitters outlets, I attached three measured lengths of hose, securing the hoses to the rafters along the ceiling, hanging one in each of the three coop sections.
At the end of each hose a auto waterer was added.
I took 2" strips of wood nailed to the rafter hung down and attached to the hoses to keep them from swinging and spilling!
I began painting the coop with oil base red barn paint.
Once I finished painting the coop red, I decided to use a few deck boards I had laying around. I ripped them into 2" inch strips and used them as trim to cover the plywood wall seams, around the window shutters, and door. I painted the trim with white oil base barn paint.
Here is a view of the front with the paint finished.
Here is a view of the far end with the paint finished.
Here is a view of the back side with paint finished.
I took a short break at this point, but soon I finished with adding the run to the front and this is what I ended up with.
(Click pictures to view larger image)
Template Designed By: Pablo Varando