Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
Les Farms - The Barn of all BARNS!
Edited on 6/6/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - Expansion
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Our First Coop - Bartholomew Country Babes
BARTHOLOMEW COUNTY BABES
Here are a few pictures of our COOP. I realize I went a little overboard, but if we ever decide to not have hens, we will have a nice garden shed. I am not much of a builder nor did I have any plans/blueprints to build this. I just started building. I can say the wife, daughter and weiner dog love having the girls around....
Day 1 of the process. I received a great Porter Cable cordless drill/saw kit for fathers day and decided to put it to use..
As you can see, there is hardly a flat piece of land at our home. So, everything I build, I have to build a frame underneath. I utilized the East wall of the minibarn to act as my West wall.
A better view of the slope of our land...
I used 4x4s 3' in the ground, 2x6 foor joists, 3/4 plywood and 2x4 studs....Also, weiner dog found her way into the picture...
T-111 siding and some low grade windows
A view from the North
I found the door at the local landfill's reuse area and cut it down to size. It's actually a solid wood door. Also, those are 2x4s for the roof.
I bought these handy little brackets from Menards. Made life easy..
The COOP is finished and ready to be stained. Tried to match the other building and failed. EPIC FAIL....
A couple pics from the inside...
Notice the automatic chicken door. Works awesome..We are waiting for 0 degree temps to see if it still works....
I made two roosts at differ heights so the heavier girls can get off the floor. You can't see it but we have a box fan in the window blowing on the right hand side of the roosts. All the girls end up sleeping right in the wind on hot nights...
I finally stained the building and all the posts in the run. I also added some venting on the COOP. My run is 14' by 24'. I have about 18" to 24" of an apron around the COOP for the critters. I also put deer netting on top of the run.
All my girls (except the biggest hen, WIFE). The most important is wearing pink....
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › Totally new to meat birds....Help? 40 seconds ago
- › twin sitters 58 seconds ago
- › Does Splay/Spraddle Leg Ever Rectify Itself? 2 minutes ago
- › Miracle Eggs 4 minutes ago
- › What did your chickens do today? 6 minutes ago
- › What chicken coop to get? 6 minutes ago
- › Is incubation time for eggs the same when they're under a broody... 8 minutes ago
- › Call Duck Egg wont hatch! Day 29 - moving and tapping but still no pip 8 minutes ago
- › Goat pregnant? Or something else? 8 minutes ago
- › Faverolles Thread 11 minutes ago
- › Belgian d'Uccle by dbhdoc
- › Orpington by plund
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Wolves Of The Blue Moon RP --- Blue Moon Pack... by IceFire
- › How to Prepare a Chicken for Showing by Whittni
- › kiomey's swapstuffs by Kiomey
- › Our Mobile Coop Project (lots of pics) by slroxie
- › Wolves Of The Blue Moon RP --- Members Page!!! by IceFire
- › The All New: How to Train Your Chicken! by darwinchooks
- › Coop de' Cluck by Sherryalaska
- › BackYard Chickens Starter Kit Price Guide by support
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres