Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Our First Coop - Bartholomew Country Babes
BARTHOLOMEW COUNTY BABES
Here are a few pictures of our COOP. I realize I went a little overboard, but if we ever decide to not have hens, we will have a nice garden shed. I am not much of a builder nor did I have any plans/blueprints to build this. I just started building. I can say the wife, daughter and weiner dog love having the girls around....
Day 1 of the process. I received a great Porter Cable cordless drill/saw kit for fathers day and decided to put it to use..
As you can see, there is hardly a flat piece of land at our home. So, everything I build, I have to build a frame underneath. I utilized the East wall of the minibarn to act as my West wall.
A better view of the slope of our land...
I used 4x4s 3' in the ground, 2x6 foor joists, 3/4 plywood and 2x4 studs....Also, weiner dog found her way into the picture...
T-111 siding and some low grade windows
A view from the North
I found the door at the local landfill's reuse area and cut it down to size. It's actually a solid wood door. Also, those are 2x4s for the roof.
I bought these handy little brackets from Menards. Made life easy..
The COOP is finished and ready to be stained. Tried to match the other building and failed. EPIC FAIL....
A couple pics from the inside...
Notice the automatic chicken door. Works awesome..We are waiting for 0 degree temps to see if it still works....
I made two roosts at differ heights so the heavier girls can get off the floor. You can't see it but we have a box fan in the window blowing on the right hand side of the roosts. All the girls end up sleeping right in the wind on hot nights...
I finally stained the building and all the posts in the run. I also added some venting on the COOP. My run is 14' by 24'. I have about 18" to 24" of an apron around the COOP for the critters. I also put deer netting on top of the run.
All my girls (except the biggest hen, WIFE). The most important is wearing pink....
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › @Monsters@ rp (anyone invited!) 14 seconds ago
- › NY chicken lover!!!! 20 seconds ago
- › Silkie pecking 6 eggs now 38 seconds ago
- › Production Reds - Are these roosters or hens? 39 seconds ago
- › "Louisiana "La-yers" Peeps" 53 seconds ago
- › **~~>>Second Annual Cinco de Mayo Turkey Hatchathon<<~~**all... 1 minute ago
- › ~~Element wolves~~rp. (Anyone welcomed) 1 minute ago
- › Human and Animals Collide 1 minute ago
- › Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" 1 minute ago
- › Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread 1 minute ago
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper
- › Cozy Coop in Cape by ShamSham
- › Poor Man's Chicken Coop for zero dollars by IceAngel
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara