Our First Montana Coop
We had been playing with with the idea of purchasing some hens for a while now. Our 3 year old loves chickens and she really loves eggs. So we found some chicks about 60 miles away. We took off too pick them up and that is where our chicken adventure starts. We got 4 Black Sex-Links and 4 New Hampshire's I am really hoping that we got all pullets(we can not have any roosters where we are).
Chicks on the ride home they were about 4 days old
Babies in their new brooder
After we got the chicks then came the fun part of figuring out how we wanted the hen house built. We have an old dog kennel that is 24 ft by 12 ft to place the hen house in. So we started thinking of designs, we changed a few time and changed the size a few times. After about 2 weeks we had a design that we felt would be good for fast growing chicks. It ended up being 4ft6ft in the large run(I am hoping that is enough room for these girls). We designed the house with 1 1/2 inch insulation in all the walls, floor and the roof to help keep them warm in the winter. All walls we used Killz on and then painted them as well. We are not quite done with it but weather permitting we will get the house up this weekend.
The kennel we are going to use after clean up minus the dog house and of course the dogs. No no worries with the lab which I thought he may want them bad. We let him into the garage with the chicks and took one out for him. He just sniffed and licked and walked away. He no longer even pay attention them. The only thing we can think of is that they do not smell like grouse or ducks :)
First of may runs for supplies.
The floor is done and the framing on the sides have started. The enjoyed us being the garage all day I think.
Chicks at almost 3 weeks old. We had to stop construction and make a few modification to the brooder they figured out they were big enough to get out of it.
The front is on as well as the nesting boxes. We have not decided if we are going to insulate the nests yet.
Our little helper....
The back is finally on and we have a little more help... oh and the roosts are in as well.
Chicks at almost 4 weeks old... We better hurry and get their home done.
This weekend we are going to get the house into the coop and finish putting the walls up. I will update the the finished house and add in the designs that we created. A few things I have learned is that it has been good family time building the hen house and I am pretty sure that the next time I have a great idea (which I think this is a great idea) that my husband will flat out tell me NO....
We got the hen house about 95% all finished up today. We need a ramp up to the door, some trim with paint, paint touch ups and some more vents.
We changed the roosts to 2x4's I hope these will work a little better. Thanks Stumpy...
This is the clean door to access the coop.
Ready for the hen house...
Moving time. It was a little heavy but we got her done...
All set up. A few touch ups and a ramp. We may need to add a window to the opposite side but we will have to wait a few for that one.
I hope that you all enjoy the progress of our new chicken adventure.