Related Forum Threads
- My New Chick Nursery – Collapsible Brooder for Easy Storage Last post on 3/7/12 at 7:53pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Now All We Need is the Quackerettes Last post on 3/4/12 at 7:29am in Ducks
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Brooder from a small animal cageEdited on 2/19/12
- Chick Inn BrooderEdited on 4/1/11
- Encorepistol's Chicken Brooder
Alphabetical Article List
Our Fold Up Brooder Box
Our Brooder Box
Here it is, our fold up brooder box! I spaced taking pictures while my husband was building it, but I have pictures of it all finished. It has had chicks in it since it was finished so I also can't take pictures of it all folded up. (Squeeeesh!)
He used all materials that we had laying around. (we got alot of stuff laying around) :O)
The brooder box is 7' long 3' wide and almost 3' tall. He used 1x1's for the frame, and old paneling for the walls and floor. He put linoleum on the floor for easy clean ups. The top is totally removable in 2 pieces. He hinged all the walls so they could fold down so we could take it into the basement or put it on the porch. Just fold and go!
After we got chicks into it I found out that is was too tall for me to easily reach the chicks, so he then added a door to the front of the box. The top box either houses a broody or smaller chicks. This box was too big for 14 new chicks so I started them out in the smaller box that sits on top of the big box. now I got my 13 Easter chicks in the big box and my 12 NEW chicks in the small box (until this weekend, then everyone gets a dosey doe)
First of all here is what we had last year....
a cardboard box!
OK OK here it is
with broody box on top!...
With chicks in the "broody" box (and the door)...
and the door opened....
Thanks for looking! Oh and our cost was $0 we had everything! time to make = 2 weeks nights only! YAY! for hubbies who can do this!
- Brooder from a small animal cage
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 17 seconds ago
- › Stella's Social Club 1 minute ago
- › Getting licensed for bobwhite 2 minutes ago
- › North Carolina 2 minutes ago
- › Swedish Flower Hen Thread 4 minutes ago
- › New additions to the family! 6 minutes ago
- › contest between rooster and mockingbird.... 7 minutes ago
- › Brand new Chicky Mama here :) 8 minutes ago
- › Southern NY, Dutchess county and below 9 minutes ago
- › Younger Guy Saying Hello from Alabama! 9 minutes ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles