Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Ponchiepeepsdh's Chicken Coop
THE NEW COOP
We started with 6 chickens and a 4x4 homemade coop, with a 6x8 run. Well we bought a few juvies and raised a few chickies and now we are busting out at the seams. We looked around to see what our options were; buy a prebuilt shed, build our own, heck we even looked at the arrow metal sheds. We finally found this one at lowe's. We trade a little more expense for a lot less building time, (See, I'm right in the middle of a complete rennovation of our 1929 acadian farm house, the last thing I have is excess time. So here it is, step by step sorta.
Day 0: Look it comes in a two 4x6 shrink wrapped boxes, now how do I get that out of the truck? One piece at a time!
Before we could start construction, we had to move the old coop out of the way. Why, oh why did we bury that fencing on the bottom of the run? Oh well a pick axe and a good son should do it! Wow a lot of work for the first evening, construction starts tomorrow!
Day 1: Okay, a lot of construction done, floor, both side walls and the back. What are the odds that the floor went done completely level, no shimming required? I must live right. Before I pat myself on the back, the doors were supposed to face the gate, but the floor and joists are in the wrong postion, oh well we can walk around. We added the double 2x6 pressure treated skids. I wanted to cross the flood joists, but the way the floor assemblies, my ends would sag, this worked better. I will probably block the corners too, just not today.
I just hate it when the home owners show up at the job site!
The end of day 1. Got a lot accomplished tonight. Have a lot to figure out. My netting will be in the way when I start the gables and rafters tomorrow, need to figure that out. Man I am ready for a cold one!
DAY 3: Well we finished the "shed" today. The temps down here were in the high 90's with 90+ humidity, made this fun. Tomorrow we start the conversion from shed to coop.
So while I about died in the heat/humidity, the homeowners were enjoying a cool treat.
Day 4: Well today we added the metal roof, painted added 2 of 6 windows:
Day 5: Well we had computer problems for the last few days, here is the latest update. Roosts are in (thanks, LaSombra) and the floor is down, we used left over VCT from our deck, the front windows are in as is the pop door. All that's left is the side windows and nesting boxes.
Day 6: Didn't get as much done today as I wanted. But got the first set of 4 nesting boxes in and the juvies will spend the night in the coop tonight. Tomorrow I hope to move the smaller coop over to it's original run and add the dog run and move everyone in! I still have some more windows to install and the other quad box, but I have enough boxes for my currnet layers. Boy the nesting box took alot longer then I thought.
Day 7: Well pretty much finished, will add another nesting 4-plex and windows above the boxes and probably smaller ones in the doors. We will eventually be housing 21 hens and 2 Roos. Here it is attached to the secure run.
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man 3 seconds ago
- › Atomic Powers (OOC) 9 seconds ago
- › Michigan Thread - all are welcome! 10 seconds ago
- › Pictures of your baby Quail 20 seconds ago
- › Marans Vs Buckeyes 48 seconds ago
- › Yum or Yuck? 56 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 1 minute ago
- › What is this chicken thinking? 1 minute ago
- › Can you help interpret this "legal" jargon?!?! 1 minute ago
- › Can I use mulch from chicks raised in medicated feed in my garden? 1 minute ago
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper
- › Cozy Coop in Cape by ShamSham
- › Poor Man's Chicken Coop for zero dollars by IceAngel
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara
- › New to web site. Need advise on how to help... by Marie Joye
- › My foray into chicken ownership by Katcynth