Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Quinault's Chicken Coop
Coop With A View
Built by Ken Sweet of Montana
We live off the grid in the mountains of Montana and this is our coop. Our coop is 14 x 32 with a 112 square foot ante-room for food and supply storage. The main area of the coop haas 36 nesting boxes, three 16' roosting bars and can be divided in half during breeding and chick season.
Our chicken pen is 2 acres of 6 foot chainlink, and we have approximately 50 chickens, 10 ducks, a dozen +/- guineas and 3 turkeys. They live with 2 guardian dogs and 2 "coop" kitties, and 7 more guardian dogs patrol the outer pastures around them.
In the beginning-we had a dozer clear a pad. Steep terrain makes for treacherous building conditions in the spring when it is wet.
The walls go up. All cupboards, windows and doors are used from our local recycled building materials place.
Windows are in, siding up, time for the roof framing. Check out the beautiful Montana sky!
Roof is now on. View from the west-the door leads into an anteroom that has cupboards and a countertop. We store our food & supplies here. This anteroom will also serve as a thermal barrier against the hot afternoon sun.
View from below. Notice one of our Great Pyrenees guardians-2 of them live with the poultry full time.
Our chickens have a pretty nice view:-)
Notice the home made log ramps. Ken found a prefect sized log, ripped it with a chainsaw, then attached leftover pieces of trim for traction
Nice big nesting boxes-36 of them in 2 sections
Our coop comes with it's own mouse patrol! Mr. Silly lives with chickens, eats mice and provides entertainment. Junior mouser Boots learns the ropes from SR mouser Silly.
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › *~*Runner Duck Club*~* 44 seconds ago
- › Broody chicken on a clutch... What is the best ways remove her 45 seconds ago
- › Bantam? Runty Standard? 2 minutes ago
- › Sick chicken 5 minutes ago
- › Boys VS girls (Never stops!) 6 minutes ago
- › Boys VS Girls 6 minutes ago
- › What kind of chicken is this? 6 minutes ago
- › Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today 8 minutes ago
- › Who's right? 8 minutes ago
- › Clutch of seven in jeopardy from ants 11 minutes ago
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Leghorn by DavidKerk
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill
- › Keeping a rooster or not - pro's and cons by Mr MKK FARMS
- › Rich & Sarah's "Cozy Cochin... by Scifisarah
- › And it's DONE! by PatQ
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel