Breed Information, Comments, and Experience with breed:Silkies were my first chickens, and I couldn't have chosen better. They are docile, and all around have an great temprement. I have one who will watch t.v. with me. Silkies get along great with other chickens. Ever the roosters! Many people keep Silkies as children's pets. Silkies are verry distinctive. And some of the oddest chickens that you will find. They have bright blue ears. Fluffy feathers because the feathers do not have barbules to meke them rgid. They end up looking like hair balls.Silkies have HUGE eyes. Silkies have feathered feet with 5 toes. They have black skin and bones, people in Japan eat them as an medical remedy. Some people keep silkies because of there willingness to go broodie (sit on eggs) They do produce eggs, they are like mini eggs. There broodieness interupts there egg laying cycle. Silkies can't fly well. They don't do well in muddey conditions either.They need proctive housing. They are not the chicken for free ranging.
Gear mentioned in this article:
Related Forum Threads
- Percentages of different breeds in my crosses Last post on 6/25/15 at 7:51am in Random Ramblings
- Swimming Silkie ?!? Last post on 5/7/15 at 8:03am in Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying
- Showing Silkies question.... Last post on 4/13/16 at 3:24pm in General breed discussions & FAQ
- Silkie breeding, genetics & showing Last post on 3/14/17 at 5:11pm in Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the Standard of Perfection
- silkies doing well Last post on 6/15/16 at 1:26am in General breed discussions & FAQ
How to Take Your Chicken Photography to a Whole New Level-...
Last edited: 11/15/16
- Silkie White By JerseychicksLast edited: 1/10/12
- Silkie Red By GallateaLast edited: 1/10/12
- Silkie RedLast edited: 1/10/12
- Silkie Partridge Variances Within The VarietyLast edited: 1/10/12
- itemSilkietagged by System, 1/10/12
Alphabetical Article List
Silkie White By 3 N C Chicken Chick 3
- Silkie White By Jerseychicks
Currently, there are 2511 Active Users (254 Members and 2257 Guests)
- › Chick Play, or Young Rooster Behavior? 18 seconds ago
- › Rooster attacked by flock 21 seconds ago
- › Is this a Rooster 48 seconds ago
- › What did you do in the garden today? 1 minute ago
- › Welcome to my pond - Swim, wade, or sit on the bank 1 minute ago
- › EDUCATIONAL INCUBATION & HATCHING, w/ Sally Sunshine. Hosts,... 1 minute ago
- › Almost Certain It's Bumblefoot...😣 1 minute ago
- › Sick Hen!! please help 2 minutes ago
- › Child At Heart, Monster By Nature (A Shape Shifting RP) 2 minutes ago
- › Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps 2 minutes ago
- › FeatherMtnFarms' Spring Chicks!!! 2017
- › One Myth and One Lie About—Egg's
- › SERAMA INCUBATION TIPS ~ Not hard to hatch...
- › casportpony's random chicken pictures
- › Best Pictures of 2017.
- › Soo EggCited the ladies will be here next...
- › Coop-A-Cabana and Coop de Ville....Soo...
- › Integrating new birds at 4 weeks old.
- › \~ * >One Will Reign< * ~/ a Wild Horse...
- › A Few of my BYC Besties