Related Forum Threads
- Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda- Coop Best Practices Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:50pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- The Duck Thread Last post on Today at 4:45 am in Ducks
- Lost I need help Last post on 6/20/12 at 11:47am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Our Shipping Crate Coop - finally finished!!! (pic heavy) Last post on 2/10/13 at 9:59am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Coop Design Questions!!!! Last post on 2/19/12 at 7:04am in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
Edited on 1/10/13
- Food Grade De Diatomaceous EarthEdited on 6/21/11
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Alphabetical Article List
15 chickens out on the lawn
2 Buff Orpingtons chillin' on the swing
9 week old Freedom Ranger Hen
Latest addition: this Rabbitry will have 6 cages.
- April 2012 -
Our new addition to the flock: 5 Week Old Freedom Rangers
These french broilers are strong, robust and great for free range, organic environments.
Most supermarket chickens are fast growing breeds (hybrid white synthetic Cornish crosses) who have trouble walking by the time they are 3 months old. They have lost all their natural instincts to forage and breed.
In contrast these little guys love to scratch and take dust baths.
9 Broilers on one side...
... 7 Layers on the other side...
... 2 Bunnies upstairs...
... and 1 happy Lili!
3.2 ounces... New record!
The newbies finally get to stay outside.
gardeners at work.
stealing from the veggies!
We adopted 2 white Delaware (Fluff Fluff & Bamie) & 1 Amerecauna (Elvis) to our Flock.
The New Generation - 3 Weeks Old:
The New Generation - Born 8/22/11:
Our 6 new chicks: Buff Orphingtons Gojira, Chickie & Ady Gil - Delaware Cutesy, Nisshin Maru & Yellow Mellow
August '11 - 1 Year Old:
Food for chickens: Black Soldier Fly Larvae from our compost
March '11 - 8 Months Old:
fresh wheat sprouts
nest box for egg laying
chicken in rain - they actually get wet when it really pours, but it doesn't seem to bother them too much.
Feb '11 - 7 Months Old:
A patch of lawn as a little snack.
A day of eggs by Peepo, Lady Gaga, Lucinda & Peepsy
The current record: a 2.7 oz egg - raised with soyfree & cornfree organic feed.
Jan 15, 2011: Our first egg!
- courtesy of Lady Gaga -
Lada Gaga's first egg on the left next to a farmer's market bought egg.
XMAS 2010: 18 Weeks Old
6 Weeks Old:
Sharing the coop with our two rabbits.
4 Weeks old: The first time outside!
Two weeks old:
Getting our new friends.
Our Chicken Coop:
The wood posts go about 3 feet into the ground and the hardware cloth is dug in about 1.5 feet (with a poured concrete border). We have plenty of raccoons at night so hopefully this will keep them away.
Left inside the run is a banna tree. Not sure if it will make it.
- Food Grade De Diatomaceous Earth
- › Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition 18 seconds ago
- › The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome! 24 seconds ago
- › BIN- Bantam Cochin eggs -Blue and Frizzled pens 45 seconds ago
- › Post pics of your chicks thread!!! 1 minute ago
- › RANDOM STUFF! 1 minute ago
- › Black, Blue and Splash (BBS) Marans discussion thread 1 minute ago
- › My new chicks (month old) are DUMB! 1 minute ago
- › Hatching Eggs / Paypal CHAT Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Boys VS Girls 2 minutes ago
- › Yum or Yuck? 2 minutes ago
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill