Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Skatcatla's Chicken Coop
Welcome to my coop page!
About us: I decided to keep chickens because I wanted to produce more of my own food. My sister lives in Portland, where many people keep chickens, and got the idea planted in my head. I'm so glad I listened to her! I have four girls now: a Barred Rock, a Rhode Island Red, a Black Star and a Jersey Giant. They are delightful; so much fun to watch, and of course the eggs can't be beat.
I started out with a simple coop from Ware, the Chick-n-Hutch, and the seperate Chick-n-Pen run. They were adequate but too small really for four hens. I modified the hutch by adding my own nest box, and we built a new, longer run.
Finally I decided I just needed to start over and build a whole new coop, as the Chick-n-Hutch is really too small for more than 2 hens. So I spent a lot of time researching (thanks to all the other pages here!), came up with a design and hired a carpenter to build it.
Here are the photos:
Building the frame, which sits on top of 3 feet long pressure treated 6 x 6's. They were pounded into the ground so that the floor sits about 2.5 feet off the ground. The floor is made of plywood, I'll be covering it with linoleum for easy cleaning.
We used home-grade exterior siding. Its water-proof, easy to install and less expensive than lumber:
View from the inside:
Nest boxes from the outside:
From the inside:
The roost, near the windows so they can look out.
I think they like it!
And here's the finished coop, painted and with finishing touches:
And here's some of the happy residents:
- The Little Red Barn
- › --Happy Houdan's Chat Thread-- 15 seconds ago
- › Beautiful PEAHEN pics!!! 27 seconds ago
- › Feeding chickens mostly kitchen scraps? 31 seconds ago
- › ☆☮★ *~Babydoo and Bluebee's Chat thread!~* ★☮☆ 35 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 41 seconds ago
- › Girls being mean to new rooster. 50 seconds ago
- › The 2nd Ban the person above you! 56 seconds ago
- › Hello from North Alabama! 59 seconds ago
- › Eugenia the Silkie chick after her bath. 1 minute ago
- › for $10 would you? 1 minute ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh