Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Skatcatla's Chicken Coop
Welcome to my coop page!
About us: I decided to keep chickens because I wanted to produce more of my own food. My sister lives in Portland, where many people keep chickens, and got the idea planted in my head. I'm so glad I listened to her! I have four girls now: a Barred Rock, a Rhode Island Red, a Black Star and a Jersey Giant. They are delightful; so much fun to watch, and of course the eggs can't be beat.
I started out with a simple coop from Ware, the Chick-n-Hutch, and the seperate Chick-n-Pen run. They were adequate but too small really for four hens. I modified the hutch by adding my own nest box, and we built a new, longer run.
Finally I decided I just needed to start over and build a whole new coop, as the Chick-n-Hutch is really too small for more than 2 hens. So I spent a lot of time researching (thanks to all the other pages here!), came up with a design and hired a carpenter to build it.
Here are the photos:
Building the frame, which sits on top of 3 feet long pressure treated 6 x 6's. They were pounded into the ground so that the floor sits about 2.5 feet off the ground. The floor is made of plywood, I'll be covering it with linoleum for easy cleaning.
We used home-grade exterior siding. Its water-proof, easy to install and less expensive than lumber:
View from the inside:
Nest boxes from the outside:
From the inside:
The roost, near the windows so they can look out.
I think they like it!
And here's the finished coop, painted and with finishing touches:
And here's some of the happy residents:
- The Little Red Barn
- › ~~~~~Dragons Tail~~~~~(RP) 17 seconds ago
- › ALABAMA!! 17 seconds ago
- › What Am I? 28 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 37 seconds ago
- › NEW RP!!~Savannah Survival~RP *Accepting Players!!!* 44 seconds ago
- › Old fashioned Broody thread for ducks 2013 edition 53 seconds ago
- › Setting eggs today...20th May...anyone else? 1 minute ago
- › The Q&A Game! 1 minute ago
- › Ducclelover10's chat thread! (Continued) 1 minute ago
- › AUCTION 12 Polish Tolbunt Eggs ENDS Sunday, May 26, 2:00 PM EST 1 minute ago
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by RentaPig311
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816
- › Teen Babies! A TragicStory (chicken edition) by McCaskill