After pouring over what seemed to be a million designs and changing my mind 12 times, my uncle decided enough was enough, after all, the chicks were about 6 weeks old and my husband wanted them out of the house. We decided on a box design with the built in run. the structure is 8x12 with the coop part 4x8, with a 2x2 section in the back blocked off for a storage area.
My uncle made the windows out of 1x stock and plexiglass -saved us a bit of money. There are the three windows you see below, along with a drop down vent on the back that is about 6 inches x 3 feet long that is just the T111 and drops down on hinges.
Talking about putting in some small gable vents of some sort so we can still have good ventilation in the winter months without having to open the windows
my dog, Sadie, very excited to visit the chickens
We made the nesting boxes separate and them slid them in after. The framing for it was done after.
My cousin put in the perches. 3 smaller rounded 2x2s and a flat 2x4 for the chilly nights and cold feet. you can see the storage area on the right hand side and the Martha Stewart interior striped "wallpaper". The nesting boxes are blocked off for now.
shot from inside the pen area. two doors open for easy clean out
chicken door is on a pulley system. we added another cleat to hold the rope when the door is down to take up the slack of the rope inside
the babies checking out the dirt! we are going to wire at some point, but for now we have an extension cord for a heat lamp
I think we have a rooster!!
Thanks for looking!