Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
The Barn Coop
We just finished our coop and just in time too, the chickens are ready to go in.
We kind of named it Barn-coop. I love the look of a barn.
We built our home a year ago and had left over wood, mostly 2x4's. I had my husband and father-in-law help me. It was our first time building a coop so we sort of winged it (pardon the pun). We cemented in four posts then while the posts were drying we framed in the coop using two of the end posts. The other two posts are for the yard. We used T-1-11 wood on the outside to make it look more wood like. There are 5 nesting boxes inside, so hopefully we can eventually have 10 or so chickens, we have 7 right now.
We made a yard attached to the coop, and we had the yard go under the coop for some shade. We live in the mountains and have alot of land and with that comes alot of animals so we layed down hardware cloth for the bottom of the yard so skunks, fox and badgers won't get in.
We also enclosed the top of the yard with chicken wire and of course all around the yard.
The back of the coop we put in little hatches to get the eggs out. We made a long bench for the kids to stand on to reach the eggs.
A little tip- we added sand (you can buy at any hardware store) to the remaining paint and painted the ramp so in bad weather we won't slip on it.
We are having so much fun with these chickens. This is our first time with all of this and Backyardchickens have been so helpful.
Thank you Backyardchickens.
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › 1 week old bobwhite not eating or drinking much 2 seconds ago
- › The khaki-Campbell duck Thread !!!!!!!! 2 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 13 seconds ago
- › Thread formerly known as Hatch day is today 50 seconds ago
- › Pennsylvania!! Unite!! 1 minute ago
- › OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there! 1 minute ago
- › INDIANA BYC'ers HERE! 1 minute ago
- › The Q&A Game! 1 minute ago
- › Washingtonians Come Together! Washington Peeps 1 minute ago
- › Chat N Chicknfun Thread 2 minutes ago
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › 1 Gallon Poultry Waterer by chickendude9
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh
- › Hello every one! by Sandstorm495
- › Our Chicken Journey by tatsmom25