Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
Les Farms - The Barn of all BARNS!
Edited on 6/6/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - Expansion
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
The Chicken Garden Coop
The Chicken Garden
by Mike & Christine
One of the greatest benefits to raising chickens is the abundance of fertilizer they so freely provide while eating weeds and bugs. So it only makes sense that chickens and gardens should go together. Or should they? Follow along through the trials and tribulations as we build our chicken garden.
The Best Laid Plans
If the chickens and the garden are meant to be together then a plan would need to be developed. For starters we would need a place to house the birds and keep all the related tools and supplies. A quick search of the barn left us with some old doors and windows, concrete blocks and some old kitchen cabinets. Once we measured the doors and windows that we wanted to use we were able to develop a floor plan.
The building will sit between two separate fenced areas. One for a chicken run, one for a garden to be alternated each year providing labor free fertilization. Just let the chickens do their thing. A small composting area will be a shovel's throw outside the coop door.
The North wall (bottom of floor plan) will have two small windows with a windowed door in the center. This part faces the house so we may add some window boxes under the windows to dress it up a little.No reason why it can't be cute.
The prevailing winds here come from the west (right side of floor plan), so we wanted to minimize the amount of openings on this side to prevent drafts during the winter months.
The East wall has a long skinny window to allow morning light to stream in and wake everyone up.
The South wall (top of floor plan) will have a large window and a windowed door to provide passive solar heat in the winter.See the construction.Check out the interior.Tour the run.
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › I lost 4 Chickens today. 22 seconds ago
- › Wisconsin "Cheeseheads" 30 seconds ago
- › Hello from Gainesville. 38 seconds ago
- › Hello to all 55 seconds ago
- › Any ideas? 56 seconds ago
- › Arizona Chickens 1 minute ago
- › Why have our hens stopped laying eggs? 1 minute ago
- › Hi from Missouri! 1 minute ago
- › Consolidated Kansas 1 minute ago
- › Newbie from Coal Country 1 minute ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › Wolves Of The Blue Moon RP --- Members Page!!! by IceFire
- › The All New: How to Train Your Chicken! by darwinchooks
- › Coop de' Cluck by Sherryalaska
- › BackYard Chickens Starter Kit Price Guide by support
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes