Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Toxos Chicken CoopToxo's Chicken CoopThe project.I grew up with chickens when I was small, and in latter years often had a hankering to get some for the garden.The idea sat on the back burner until a small shed that I had given my daughter came back to me because she didn't have room for it.Hmmm! Thinks I, I could make a chicken coop out of that. And the rest as they say is history. But first I had to build it.The Design.My backyard used to be a garden and isn't very big so I had to be aware of not taking up too much space.I learned many years ago to trust my own thoughts and instincts rather than waste time looking for other people's designs that wouldn't fit my criteria anyway.I've always been a logical person who believes that for every problem there is a solution. You just have to look for it.I started by reasoning that I didn't know at that stage how many chooks I wanted and how far this journey was going to take me and for this reason I decided to build a coop next to the shed which would leave the shed space empty for possible expansion later.
Working out the floor area was simple. I only wanted 3/4 hens to begin with and a sheet of ply is 8ft x 4ft so best value = 4ft square which gave me a floor and a roof from one sheet of ply.
Next, the height off the ground was dictated by the height of a chicken.
The height of the back wall was dictated by the height of the neighbours fence.
The height of the front wall was dictated by wanting to keep the same slope as the shed roof for aesthetic reasons.
Here's what we started with.
Had to refurbish the shed first.
Designing as we go.
Took longer than necessary cos I wanted all he edges to line up.
I wanted an under cover feeding area.
The roof of this area will lift up at the front for access.
More to follow.
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › Deluxe 5 gal waterer with 2 watering levels 15 seconds ago
- › New to Chickens, New to Coops 20 seconds ago
- › Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Eggs 20 seconds ago
- › Major trouble raising POLISH chicks PLEASE HELP 25 seconds ago
- › Boys VS Girls 28 seconds ago
- › water bath? 29 seconds ago
- › I just want "vent" for a second! 29 seconds ago
- › Cochin Thread!!! 32 seconds ago
- › Ducclelover10's chat thread! (Continued) 47 seconds ago
- › Lets count to a million 53 seconds ago
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper
- › Cozy Coop in Cape by ShamSham
- › Poor Man's Chicken Coop for zero dollars by IceAngel
- › Fresh Eggs from Spoiled Chickens by lilnursetara