Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
Resin Chicken Coop
Edited on 5/14/13
- The Little Red BarnEdited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken Coops
- topicSmall Coops
Alphabetical Article List
tylermckee's Chicken Coop
Our Chicken Coop
Our chicken coop is 4' x 4.5' with a 6' x 10' run. Floor is framed with 2x4 and covered with OSB, walls are 2x2 framing, with t1-11 siding. All the trim I made from cheap cedar fence boards that i ripped to the desired width. Run is all 2x4 framing with pressure treated on the bottom. 2"x2" wire on the sides and top, with 30" of 1/2" hardware cloth around the bottom.
The two front doors open for easy access and what not. The front 2 windows are covered with hardware cloth and have slide out plexiglass windows.
The nesting boxes are to the left they run the length of the coop, they are divided into 3 boxes. The roof opens for easy egg hunting, in a few months, hopefully! The window has become a favorite of the chickens and my wife!
We choose to use sand inside of our coop and like it alot, it has been really easy to clean up the poop! I made a poop screen made out of gutter gaurd and some scrap cedar. The roost was made from a log we got at the beach a few years back, the chicks love it up there. Scrap plywood is covering the nesting boxes from the inside until the chicks are a little older.
This is the chicks door going out into the run.
The door opens down onto the ramp.
One of the girls "doug" roosting! (Our 2 1/2 year old named her!!)
The girls hangin' out inside the coop!
The cost of our coop and run came out to roughly 300 dollars
cedar fence boards (used for trim) $12
hinges (used on the front doors)
Hardware cloth $70
hinges and latch $10
So far we love everything about the coop. The only thing we would have done differently is made it bigger so we could get more chickens!!
- The Little Red Barn
- › Any ideas what this breed is 25 seconds ago
- › Happy Horse Stables RPG 34 seconds ago
- › ***Chicken Trivia*** 47 seconds ago
- › PEAFOWL MAY/JUNE HATCH ALONG!!!!! COME JOIN THE OBSESSION! 53 seconds ago
- › California - Northern 1 minute ago
- › I miss my old boy 1 minute ago
- › Mean Kids 1 minute ago
- › BYC gardening thread!! 2 minutes ago
- › When do we give up roos? 2 minutes ago
- › Complete Novice! 2 minutes ago
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › Pullet-Shut Automatic Chicken Door Chickendoors.com by celticgarden
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles
- › Cottage Coop De Ville by themorra
- › How to introduce your dog to your chickens... by Kathryn P
- › How to decide if a rooster is right for you! by Kathryn P
- › From citygirl to backyard chicken farmer by Kathie816