Related Forum Threads
- Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda- Coop Best Practices Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:50pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
The Little Red Barn
Edited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken CoopsEdited on 2/6/13
- Chicken MenagerieEdited on 11/14/12
- Little chicken wagon to move them from the run to the gardenEdited on 6/9/13 More ›
- topicTractor Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Urban Coop Ii
This is an update to Urban Coop on my Homepage.
Urban CoopI had some good and bad features. Let me tell you what worked and what didn't:
- It's really secure. [either that or there are no predators around here. ]
- The lid works well and all my friends are pretty impressed.
- Easy to disassemble and easy to clean
What didn't work:
- It was too awkward to move around, even for 2 people.
- T1-11 plywood is water resistent, not water PROOF. Had to paint it anyway. If I were doing it again I'd use thinner plywoord to save weight.
- The run was lightweight, but it was difficult to put the coop in position then push the run up to it so that both were where I wanted them.
- It's too tall. I'm 6' and I was the only one who could reach in.
MY SOLUTION: Make Urban Coop into a tractor!!
1) make it 18 inches shorter, so now the 'downstairs' is only 18" tall:
The upper box is unchanged:
Put them back together:
2) add real wheels (dualies to cover any terrain)
3) mechanism to connect the run easily.
4) put the lock on the pop door on the INSIDE, then put in a side door to reach in without removing the entire front of the coop.
5) Frame out the pop door opening on the run
6) finish the other end of the run with a door.
It's a tractor now!
Despite having the two pieces connected it's actually easier to move around than before. Just pick up the far end and push or pull it where you want it to go. I can still disconnect the run if I want to.
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › Art/Photography Club!!! 3 seconds ago
- › ALABAMA!! 4 seconds ago
- › Tell everyone your current mood in three words (no more, no less!) 8 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 13 seconds ago
- › My chicks are bored... 28 seconds ago
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 36 seconds ago
- › Word game "Change one letter" 46 seconds ago
- › Weight of chickens 1 minute ago
- › Yum or Yuck? 1 minute ago
- › Wolves of the gems restart~wolf rp~(anyone come join!) 1 minute ago
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › 1 Gallon Poultry Waterer by chickendude9
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem
- › Bls5049 Swap page by bls5049
- › Pullet Grower Tractor by Kagen
- › Dead Hen by cortneyh
- › Hello every one! by Sandstorm495