Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)Edited on 3/18/13
- Virginia Woodland CoopEdited on 4/28/13
- Mukilteo Coop
- topicMedium Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Varedbaron1's Chicken Coop
Our newly remodeled coop!
Our chicken coop project started out by us just wanting to move an old corn crib from my grandmom's yard to our yard. We were initially going to use it as some sort of shed. Kelly and I decided to hook up the car to the old corn crib and pull it through the woods using little logs to roll it on. We began to start this project and grandmom showed up to help.
We started by lifting the shed with a pry bar. Look at that effort!
After a couple hours of work in the rain, we finally got it in place. It sat there to become a storage shed for most of the winter. We went to the Tractor Supply and saw a sign about chicks coming and it gave us a great idea to turn our shed into a chicken coop instead. Notice little Leah decided to help!
We have never had any chickens before. We live in southern NJ and are surrounded by farms so we figured we could easily find us some chicks. We didn't know anything about when to get them, where to get them or how to raise them. So of course we googled "chickens" and found this website. Our little idea has turned into a lot of work and excitement. We started to convert our little rotted shed, filled with everything from a lawnmower, plywood (to be used on this project), shovels and crab traps. The project was supposed to be simple, and most of all, cheap. It didn't turn out that way because we were getting more and more ideas of how we wanted it, plus the old corn crib was in a lot worse shape than we realized. It needed a new wall, new roof, new door and of course we had to hang the plywood.
This is the original door. There was no way to keep predators out of this thing.
We bought this material for the roof from Lowe's. Not quite sure what it was called, but it's not metal. Kind of like the material that roofing tar paper is made of, only much thicker. Hopefully it will work.
We wanted to add some light to the inside, so we went to an antique store and bought three windows for $9! Bargain.
Very official looking. Never fooled with windows before.
Here's Kelly standing by the first window. Notice it's getting dark in the background. Cold too.
Our help needed a mandatory hot chocolate break. What are they wearing???
Bria and Malorie are showing off their work.
The newly built end wall. The window even works!
Here I am building the door to the run.
As of late March, we still have some finishing touches on the building itself, including rebuilding Kellys old nesting box and tightening the building up for predator intrusion. Only a few more weeks til we can get our chicks. We still have to build the run. When those pictures are ready, I will post them as well. As you can see from this webpage, I am still learning to use the design features, but it is a very nice website.
- Serenity Garden Coop (Witchita Cabin knockoff)
- › ~The Battle of the Empires~ New RP NEED PLAYERS 5 seconds ago
- › Walk in the Wild~~Wolf RPG *NEEDS MEMBERS* 29 seconds ago
- › Switching Wooden Eggs to Fertile Eggs under a broody - Is there a... 42 seconds ago
- › Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome! 1 minute ago
- › Keep a word, drop a word! 3 minutes ago
- › odd behavior 4 minutes ago
- › please help :-( 5 minutes ago
- › Cornish Thread 5 minutes ago
- › Post Your Pekin duck pics here 6 minutes ago
- › Help! Skin around comb, eyes, and ears is red 7 minutes ago
- › Mallard by Zombified
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by LeslieDJoyce
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by LeslieDJoyce
- › Automatic King Size Poultry Fount - 2550 by LeslieDJoyce
- › Chantecler by BravewingTheHen
- › Cochin by BravewingTheHen
- › Ameraucana by starbugs
- › Cornish Cross by cynthiagee
- › La Fleche by theeggbasket
- › Barred Rock by techpeak
- › Chicken's Communication by roostersandhens
- › Yearg's Chicks - The Coop by YeargsChicks
- › "Mattersville" Coop/Pergola by match-nickel
- › Maggie's "Fab 6" Brooder by chixrus2013
- › Our humble coop - for 4 chickens. by Aussie-Chook
- › The Hot Headed Hen House by EagleChickens
- › This is my new coop. by hairco
- › Poultry Playpen by ftroop
- › Troost Roost by stuckinvtown
- › Fowl Territory by softblooper