Related Forum Threads
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
- Two Story Coop Design for 60 chickens!! Last post on 2/13/12 at 10:01pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
Edited on 3/30/13
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.Edited on 5/11/13
- Valhalla - ExpansionEdited on 10/18/12
- The Schoop
- topicLarge Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Wendyskill's Chicken Coop
My New Coop
I started with an old run-in shed that was previously used for the horses.
I attached 4x4's at the base to work off. Found left-over Blue Stone for walkway.
Purchased a door, 2 windows and some 2x4's from a re-store that deconstructs houses and resells the material.
Framing, my egg collecting/nesting box done, windows and door in.
That's pretty much it for construction pictures.... I was too busy working.
Here is the finished product:
Made hardware wire frames for windows and door w/ hinges & locks, extra protection from predators.
Hardware wire frame on people door.
Ceilings, walls, fully insulated from the New England cold.
Pop door for chickens - 'Moon Over Monson' logo
Daytime/night timer set to open and close pop door.
First chicken to check out the new digs. Roo standing back.
Top lifts to gather eggs. Note the 'Chicken' Wellies DH surprised me with for opening day.
Top and bottom opens for egg collecting.
Side of chicken house w/ new window and pop door into pen. Inverted stone wall 18" deep dug all around coop w/ hardware wire fencing, more predator protection.
Hardware wire frames on hinges to clean windows or open them for fresh air.
Wendy and Daughter Katie watching chickens from the observation window.
Chicken's view into pen.
Bailey checking out chicken house opening day.
Happy hens lay great tasting eggs.
Fencing around pen has 2' skirt extending out so predators can't dig under, also 3 electric wires around outside of fencing to discourage climbing predators. Netting over top of some areas to provide a 'run under' for chickens when there is an air attack alert from hawks, eagles or low flying planes.
That's all for now.
Thanks for looking.
- 'Bird and the Fluffy Butts Hut.
- › Pennsylvania!! Unite!! 5 seconds ago
- › Just Starting 1 minute ago
- › The Natural Chicken Keeping thread - OTs welcome! 1 minute ago
- › ghale 2 minutes ago
- › Crows! :\ 3 minutes ago
- › Hello to all 4 minutes ago
- › Michigan Chickenstock -- 2013 Pot Luck Food Thread 4 minutes ago
- › help! incubator turned off day 20! 4 minutes ago
- › *CHICKS are HERE!!!* Egg Candling Pics: Progression Though Incubation 4 minutes ago
- › My very first chicks... 5 minutes ago
- › Barnevelder by pysankigirl
- › Nankin Bantams by Cambium29
- › 2 Gallon Double Wall Fount by awaxt2003
- › Leghorn by Chicken Goddess
- › Australorp by chickenman98
- › Aylesbury by cowgirlHH
- › 3 Quart Plastic Feed Scoop - Blue by cowgirlHH
- › Silkie by chickenlover89
- › Speckled Sussex by nova022
- › Little Giant - 3 Gallon Plastic Poultry Waterer - PPF3 by 29PalmsRanch
- › My take on the "On Golden Coop"... by rockhopjohn
- › New San Ramon California Ordinance Effective... by Tangramon
- › BillysFlock by BillysFlock
- › Chicken Mansion Supreme by sandrachicken
- › The Weenie flock by wein315
- › Feed-sack Fencing by SuperSilkies
- › I think I am reliving my childhod. My Mother... by skoodo
- › How To Tell Your Chicken's Gender by roostersandhens
- › Processing Day Support Group SUMMARY of THREAD by Sally Sunshine
- › The Lovely Holland Coop by the3littles