Related Forum Threads
- Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda- Coop Best Practices Last post on 5/19/13 at 10:50pm in Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance
- Custom Critter Carriers,Coops,Tractors,Hutches;etc Last post on 2/23/13 at 7:34pm in Where am I? Where are you!
The Little Red Barn
Edited on 4/29/13
- ChooksChick's Hints for HenthusiastsEdited on 3/30/13
- Covered Wagon and Chik'n Hut Mobile Chicken CoopsEdited on 2/6/13
- Chicken MenagerieEdited on 11/14/12
- Little chicken wagon to move them from the run to the gardenEdited on 6/9/13 More ›
- topicTractor Coops
Alphabetical Article List
Yoker's Chicken Coop Tractor
This is a chicken tractor I built for my broilers.
I wanted a pen that I could easily move and that would hold my 60 broilers that were growing up fast.
I had looked at a bunch of different pens that people had made.
This pen holds 60 broilers and is 12'x8' and must be moved everyday.
List of supplies and prices (canadian):
everything was bought at Home Depot except the tarp clips they were bought from lee valley.
1-12'x15' Cotten Drop cloth-$38.97
1-hook for the door-$1.49
1-50' Pex pipe 3/4"-$28.98
1-50' 2"x4" fencing-$67.87
1-100 solid copper 3/4" clips-$21.89
2-17 wood/metal screws-$4.98
1-100 6x1 wood/metal screws-unknown
1-100 8x3 construction screws-$4.69
1-bag fencing staples -unknown
Odds and ends screws, wood and haywire that we already had.
you will have some extra supplies.
Total: $222.33 without GST and unknown stuff.
This is some of the supplies:
The drop cloth and pex pipe: I chose the drop cloth over a tarp because it won't scare the chickens as bad and it will last longer and looks nicer.
The fence and 2"x4"s:
First we screwed the 2"x4"'s together:
We made a little indent in the ends of the 12 footers just big enough to fit in the reinforcers:
This is the corner with the pex pipe going up and the fence stapled on, later we screwed the reinforcer on:
Here is the fence streched over the pex pipe the 2"x4" is just there while we are building:
The fence and pipe are 12 1/2' long, so the pen is 4' high at the tallest part.
We used 3 pieces of fence across the pen and 4 pipes.
Here the cloth is over top the fencing. a 8' piece of fencing is on the end:
We used hay wire to attach the pex pipe and fencing together you might be able to use cable ties to:
Here is the other end with the door:
The dark wood across the top is a handle for moving it.
Close up on the door:
From the inside:
brace in the middle 2"x4"x12' cut in to a 4' and 8' piece, stapled to the top and screwed to the sides:
So far I really like it and wouldn't change anything except making the plywood end lighter.
I would like to build a little plat form with wheels to move it but I haven't yet, If I do I will post a picture.
- ChooksChick's Hints for Henthusiasts
- › The Last Wolves RP 4 seconds ago
- › Iowa Blues - Breed thread and discussion 11 seconds ago
- › Eggs of my pullets just went to lockdown today...... 14 seconds ago
- › OHio ~ Come on Buckeyes, let me know your out there! 27 seconds ago
- › Boys VS Girls 43 seconds ago
- › Hen or roo? 55 seconds ago
- › My Tilley, dying 1 minute ago
- › Stella's Social Club 1 minute ago
- › Michigan Thread - all are welcome! 1 minute ago
- › chicken problems 1 minute ago
- › Orpington by chickenteacher2
- › Red Sex Link by Hogs and Horns
- › Japanese by MoodyBroody622
- › Sicilian Buttercup by Glimmer Otnes
- › White Leghorn Pullets by HershelMS
- › Wyandotte by The Bantam Guy
- › Ameraucana by 1stTimeChikMama
- › Icelandic or Viking Hen by my urban barnyard
- › Plymouth Rock by australorp41
- › Easter Eggers by mrstomcat
- › The All New: How to Train Your Chicken! by darwinchooks
- › Coop de' Cluck by Sherryalaska
- › BackYard Chickens Starter Kit Price Guide by support
- › Wild Thyme Farm's Flock by applegal
- › Cedar Acres Coop! by CedarAcres
- › Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! by SillyChicken
- › The Hunger Games -----Awesome RP - Members Page! by IceFire
- › My wife thinks I've "flown the... by bartholomew82
- › The Royal Chickens of Cluck Caslte by ChickFuentes
- › Darkstar's Palace by elisem