Why does this happen?

goodb

Songster
8 Years
Aug 27, 2013
My little piece of heaven!
My Coop
My Coop
I have a broody starting the hatch today. I checked about noon and found these two almost hatched chicks dead. I pulled the rest of the eggs and stuck in the incubator hoping she'll take the chicks post hatch. What causes this with a broody hatch? How can I fix it?

Thanks for your comments

If another hen tried to get into the nest or a predator, she might have stomped on them trying to fend it off.

It's possible but I've seen no evidence of predators. Could be she was clumsy but why did it happen an hatch day???!!!!!
barnie.gif

Oh well the first chick is out and raising terror, two more are on their way out. I'll give them to her tonight so she'll take the move to the brooder more easily tomorrow.

Because on hatch day the eggs are softer and if the chick cracked a hole in the egg it weakens the compactness of the egg making it vulnerable to smashing. That's from my own experience.

makes sense, it's just so sad to see it go so far. Anyway, update: 4 chicks have hatched, the first was pip to pop in 9 hours. Once it got out, the others started. I went out and put them under her, she tucked them in for the night.
celebrate.gif
I expect another 4 to 5 to hatch by morning.

Back
Top Bottom