Is it safe to hatching duck eggs

silly4buttons

Crowing
10 Years
Jul 5, 2013
Billerica Ma
Last week I tried to hatch calls ducks. It didn't go well at all. I have 3 khaki Campbell's 1 female and 2 drakes. That I hatched in February 2015 and I want to replace the 2 males for females. So I was thinking of buying hatching eggs again on eBay but with all bird flu I am afraid of getting eggs. I don't want to order form a hatchery becouse of the amount you have to buy and the bird flu. i was hoping if calls hatched I would get a least 2 females and rehome the 2 drakes in the fall. The drakes are driving my chickens crazy and I fell bad and if I rehome the 2 drakes then she will be alone. The feed store that I went to on Tuesday has ducks but they where not sexed and I didn't want to get 2 and they turned out to be males then I would have to rehome too. Do you think it's safe to get hatching eggs or wait

There is always a chance of problems. We bought eggs off ebay this spring and now we have 11 healthy serama chickens and 3 silkies. Sometimes taking a chance pays off.

We recently got chicks from McMurrays and we were guaranteed that they would be healthy, and they were! All of them but one survived, which is good for shipped chicks. None of them had bird flu. I think hatching eggs are the same, I don't think they pass Bird Flu on to the chicks, which are hatched away from the adults.
To my knowledge (and I'm no expert) hatching eggs won't pass on bird flu to the birds you have. However, you could get some males out of the hatching.

Best of luck!

Here is a update I just ordered some ducks from ideal they didnt have much if a selection so I got 3 blue Swedish and 2 Peking . They will be here the end of July.

Back
Top Bottom