Anyone Here from Southern New Jersey?

Pics
Brick township
Just past 1 year with chickens. Enjoying them except for all the poop in the yard on the deck etc. we let them out to forage as much as we can they have lots of cover but we have had 2 hawk close calls nobody wAs hurt.

We are brand new babies to the fowl world! Right now we have 6 baby guineas (5 days old). We are planning on picking up 3 Dominique Bantams as soon as our local Agway has them in stock. My husband is currently finishing up our coop and run while the guineas are still in their brooder. This is a whole new world for us. Al (husband) has severe military ptsd and is disabled, so we thought chickens would be a nice little addition to our family and it really helps with his anxiety and ptsd to have something to focus on. Right now he's afraid to pick them up! He's afraid that he's gonna break them!!! So, I do all of the picking up! :jumpy

Harley - I am so sorry to hear about your husbands PTSD. My ex husband suffers from military PTSD and is disabled from it as well. I know how very hard it is for him and for you. I think you are right and the keeping of chickens could be a wonderful therapy (for you both). They are also having amazing results with using yoga as therapy for it. If you ever need to talk, just private msg me. We are new to the chicken world as well but love it so far. We purchased 8 chicks and it appears that 6 are roosters - lol. So looking to relocate the Roos and will be replacing with a couple buff orpingtons a Barred rock and a polish creasted to start. Our 2 hens we do have are Americanus. They are sweet little girls. We allow them to free range but recently had 2 near misses with Hawks so we are thinking of maybe doing a large run they can use is they want. Our property is partially chain link fenced but they flyover to any area they want. Good luck and keep in touch:)

Back
Top Bottom