Combining Chicks

Memory Lane

Hatching
Jul 4, 2015
We have two groups of chicks (6 at 10 weeks old, 4 at 5 weeks old and 3 at 4 weeks old). The oldest chicks are out in the coop and I would really like to get the younger chicks out of the house. When is it best to combine chicks?

Hi , I was cruising the forum and ran across your thread and stopped to take a look. I have exactly the same issue.I have 6 Buff Orps going on 7 weeks , they are out in the coop and doing very well. I received another 12 Buff Orp chicks this week and will need to move them out soon enough ( they grow soooo fast!!!)....the warm to hot days and moderate nights here where I live allow an early transfer from the brooder to the coop.The original 6 went out at 4 weeks , after they had feathers of course. Hopefully some one will answer our question. Have a happy 4th!!!

Thanks! It does help. I have heard many stories of older hens attacking younger chicks. I just don't want that to happen to my girls. Hope you have a Happy 4th as well!!!

You need a lot of hideouts, and you need a lot of space. Both of you are talking a fair size flock. What seems like a lot of space now, may rapidly get to small as they all get to a mature size.

However, to your question, you need to split off an area in your run. Using the brooder that you are all ready using can help, as chickens don't like change. If you are using a box to contain them, tip it on the side and place it in the run. Have the run sectioned off into two parts, so all the chicks can see each other but are separated.

After a week or so of this, open the dividing fence so as it becomes a one way gate, in which the smaller birds can get through it, but the larger birds cannot. This allows the smaller birds to explore but have an escape.

Mrs K

You need a lot of hideouts, and you need a lot of space. Both of you are talking a fair size flock. What seems like a lot of space now, may rapidly get to small as they all get to a mature size.

However, to your question, you need to split off an area in your run. Using the brooder that you are all ready using can help, as chickens don't like change. If you are using a box to contain them, tip it on the side and place it in the run. Have the run sectioned off into two parts, so all the chicks can see each other but are separated.

After a week or so of this, open the dividing fence so as it becomes a one way gate, in which the smaller birds can get through it, but the larger birds cannot. This allows the smaller birds to explore but have an escape.

Mrs K

Thanks Mrs K....my run is a raised floor 16' x 8' and that's exactly what I planned to do was to section off one end to keep them separated until the younger chicks are old enough to be combined in with the rest. I can turn the older ones out into the run and still have plenty of room and let them get to know the younger ones through the fence.

Back
Top Bottom