HELP! My lady Muscovy keeps laying 'train wrecks' of eggs

purplesquirrel

Songster
6 Years
Dec 7, 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
My Muscovy started laying for the first time ever about 2/2.5 months ago.

Everything was going great until lately, she doesn't lay for days, and then all of a sudden I find a shell-less one lying on the ground or in her bath.
This has happened a few times, once I just found the egg - yolk and white with no shell just lying on the grass.

About 4 or 5 times she has laid eggs with no waterproof coating on at all.

For the last 5 days she didn't lay, and then when I went to check on them last night, I found a squidgy bag-like one burst, with the insides on the ground next to a fully developed normal one.

This has happened twice now, almost like there's a pile up in her insides, which worries me.

I'm assuming it's just because she's young and her body is still sorting out it's cycle?
But it is a little worrying.
She seems absolutely fine in herself. Eats lots and loves bug hunting. She eats plenty of grass and has access to fresh water and a nice bath.
I feed her layer pellets as she lives with chickens. I also feed her hundreds of snails from our big garden, which are obviously high in calcium and proteins. (We don't use pesticides)

Any help/reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
many thanks.x

I would suggest giving her poultry electrolytes and possibly offering crushed oyster shells in addition to the snails.

What brand of layer feed are you using?

That happens to my Romy when I don't give her an extra 80 mg or so of calcium daily.

I put about 150 mg of dissolved calcium citrate in a couple of tablespoons of peas and let her nom it down.

If I do not do that for a couple of days - same kind of things happen with her. And it hurts. So I usually keep up with that (I was rather ill for a couple of days and missed it - sure enough, today it was a shell-less egg)

For the record, this is in addition to the good quality layer feed and extra calcium added to that five days a week. I do set out oyster shell for them from time to time - they don't seem to be interested in it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, she laid a normal egg today but will have to get some supplements.
On Saturdays My fishmonger down the road sells oysters on the street outside his shop and opens them for people, so I may go and ask him for the shells and take a hammer to them!

Back
Top Bottom