New to chickens in Central Ohio

gypsytumbleweed

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2015
Raising chickens something I've always wanted to do!

My chicks arrived at the very end of April and are now just over 2 months old. I have 1 Easter Egger, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 White Cochin and 5 light Brahma hens. Right now they are housed in a stall in my cousin's barn as my coop builder fell through. I see them at least daily though and am enjoying getting to know them. I'm trying to raise them organically, but am already challenged in that arena with what may be a case of bumblefoot..

I'm currently living in rural Mt. Sterling, OH on 20 acres that is also home to beef cows and bee hives (not mine). It's my first time living in farm country! Recently I discovered a family of weasels living in the barn (eeek!) and have buzzards nesting there too (oh my!). I've also discovered signs of coyote or fox way too close for comfort (another reason the chickies are at my cousins!). So, as I'm trying to build a coop myself, I'm taking all these things into consideration (maybe I should just keep them in the house, LOL!)

I share my home with a lovely, smart Corgi named Doc.

I was happy to find this website when I started doing my chicken research prior to ordering my chicks!

Welcome to Backyard chickens, do check out the coops and predator sections for ideas on keeping your birds safe . The Learning Center is also a great read.

Back
Top Bottom