Should I fear the neighbors cats?

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
Hi all,

I hope everyone is having a nice (and safe) 4th of July weekend. Me?... I stayed home to spend time with my chickens bcuz I've been working 7 days a week! :p

ANYWAY.. I am a new chicken owner, and due to lots of predators around (Northern WI), I decided to not free range our chickens until they were full grown. They are now 10 months old. I realized last night that over looked a possible problem.. The neighbors 4 barn cats who have all their claws.

Do cats go after chickens? Should I not free range my bantams? :(

Advice pleeeeease. Thank you!!

It depends. Most cats won't tackle adult chickens, even bantams (maybe Seramas?) but a few will. I free range my Belgian d'Uccles and haven't had a problem, but some individual cats may be a problem. Cats usually go for smaller birds, rodents, and bunnies. Mary

Your neighbours cats shouldn't really be a problem for chickens at that age. I have two cats and they are quite hesitant of my flock as the birds outnumber them 5/1.

If the chicks had been younger and consequentially smaller then it could have been a concern as cats will go for birds like crows which can be a fair size. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you - just try and enjoy your new past time :)

My two outside cats sit and watch my chickens though the wire all of the time. I do not free range, but I am pretty sure they would go after them if I did. They hunt as a team. They caught and killed a full grown roadrunner a few months ago :( I feed them all of the time too.

My two outside cats sit and watch my chickens though the wire all of the time. I do not free range, but I am pretty sure they would go after them if I did. They hunt as a team. They caught and killed a full grown roadrunner a few months ago :( I feed them all of the time too.

That is quite impressive from your feline friends! I guess or just depends on the temperament of the cats. The two I have quite often go into the chicken run and walk around with the chickens (I'll try find a photo).

My cats are a custom to the chickens being there now so it doesn't excite them in anyway whatsoever. Up at my family farm the wild cats don't bother chickens either as there much easier meals in the form of birds and rodents.

Back
Top Bottom