Adult quail have stopped laying suddenly?

tinkatwerp

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 31, 2014
So I have 6 one year old hens and 10 16 week old hens. They are kept outside in a dirt bottom pen. They are definitely getting 14+ hours of sun light. The new hens have been in the pen with the old hens for about a month. I'm getting about 3 eggs a day. I used to get a lot more than that with the old hens alone, and I can't tell why they'd stop laying so suddenly. There haven't been any new cats or raccoons in our yard. My parents think it might be getting too hot. I didn't really think that was a thing though. It's only like 90 degrees. I thought maybe they had worms and that was somehow affecting it, so I've been putting fish soap in their water. No difference so far. Any ideas?

So I have 6 one year old hens and 10 16 week old hens. They are kept outside in a dirt bottom pen. They are definitely getting 14+ hours of sun light. The new hens have been in the pen with the old hens for about a month. I'm getting about 3 eggs a day. I used to get a lot more than that with the old hens alone, and I can't tell why they'd stop laying so suddenly. There haven't been any new cats or raccoons in our yard. My parents think it might be getting too hot. I didn't really think that was a thing though. It's only like 90 degrees. I thought maybe they had worms and that was somehow affecting it, so I've been putting fish soap in their water. No difference so far. Any ideas?

Warm temperatures can bring on a molt. If they are molting egg production will decrease. Your parents are likely right; temperature plays a part in egg laying. Here in Wisconsin 90 is very hot and I would expect the birds not to be at their best.

Back
Top Bottom