new to forum and a few question about light sussexs

emmaellis111

Songster
Jul 5, 2015
shropshire UK
hello im emma, today i brought some light sussexs 2 hens and a cockrel, they are beautiful, they are 18weeks old apparently, i was wondering how much feed do i have to give them a day, and how old are they when they start to lay eggs, oh the cockrel is already treading the hens is that normal at 18 weeka old? many thanks Emma x

They should have feed accessible all day long. If you plan on keeping the rooster, you will be needing to get more girls. Also, a flock with a rooster in it should not be fed layer pellets. The calcium will damage his kidneys. Most breeds, including Light Sussex, start laying at 20-25 weeks old. The rooster's behavior of breeding the girls is very normal. They have bright red combs, so they are ready to be laying pretty soon.

how come the rooster shouldnt eat layer pellets? what do u give him?x
welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us and congrats on getting your flock.

Feeding roosters layer feed once they are 18 weeks and older is safe. Younger than 18 weeks for pullets or roos can cause kidney damage due to the calcium in the feed. But if you ever have soft shell egg issues, don't mix extra calcium in the feed, add it as a separate accessible supplement for the layers.

Reference : Dummies book on raising chickens.

You can email the question to Purina and the experts will send you a personal response, here's the link: http://purinamills.com/animal-nutrition-leaders/

It can cause kidney damage at any age. The high calcium content needed to produce good eggshells is harmful to any bird that is not actively laying. A flock with a rooster or non-laying birds should be fed an all flock feed, flock raiser, or grower feed.

Last edited:
Grower or chick starter feed is fine to feed for the entire lifetime of the birds. They can expel excess protein in their droppings. Excess calcium can not be expelled, it just builds up in the kidneys until they fail and the bird dies. Your feed choice does have extra calcium add so it would not be an appropriate choice to feed long term. It's also on the low side in protein content. I feed a flock raiser feed and supplement with crushed oyster shell for calcium separately.

so i know this is being daft but what should i feed them? obvesley the rooster would need something else? or are the hens alright eating the feed i got or should i get something different is so what? thanks u for ur replies xx

Back
Top Bottom