Weird Skin Patch on Back

Ashley Pederson

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 22, 2014
Portland, OR
When I was giving my Ameraucana a quick check up while she was squatting for me, I noticed she had a spot on her back above her tail where a lot of her fluff feathers where showing. I parted the feathers and found this weird scabby looking area. Sorry if the pictures are hard to see everything, it was dusk outside. The feathers have been plucked out of the area and the brown on the skin is pretty firm like a scab. I looked really close at the weird patch, under her wings and her legs and didn't notice anything that looked like mites with the naked eye. Does it look like something caused by mites or do you think the other gals were picking on her?

They get to free range my backyard for a couple of hours every late afternoon/evening and are eating an organic layer feed with shells and grit in containers on the side. They are all recently laying and are between 21-23 weeks old. I noticed them eating feathers and read about protein deficiency, so I give them black sunflower seeds for treats just in case they don't get enough from eating bugs around the yard.

Patches like that can be caused by over-breeding from a rooster, molting, mites/lice, plucking by another hen, and a few others reasons. My rooster is missing feathers on his back because he touched a heat-light. It didn't hurt his skin, but is feathers turned black and fell off.
Is that where the preen gland is?

I hope this helps. Best of luck!

It's above where her preen gland is... I think. These are my first chickens. It's not at the base of her tail, but a little higher on her back. We do not have a rooster to have overbreeding be an issue. Here's a picture from slight further away to maybe give a better idea on its location.

Those are her wings on either side of the area.

There are no symptoms on my other chickens, but I will give them all another once over tomorrow now that I know I need to be looking for something in particular and not just a general "Hey, how are ya?"

I will also try to keep a closer eye on them to see if it is pecking and whether it's a particular chicken. Is there something I should do to treat it or is it healing on its own? The scabby area looked pretty dry and there didn't look to be any signs of infection.

Thank you all for being so patient with my newbie posts and being so helpful. This is such an amazing community and resource for those of us who are still learning!

If it seems infected you could try antibiotics ointment. I've heard that coconut oil can make sore skin feel better.

Back
Top Bottom