What eggs to use?

brightonchicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Near Springfield,MO
If I want to let my broody hatch some eggs what are good eggs to use? From hens that have been laying over a year or can you use eggs from hens that are are 7 months to 11 months old?

Last edited:
You can do either. Pullet eggs shouldn't be used but once the get some size to them they're fine. Older hens don't have as good of albumen quality as pullets but the eggs are bigger. Extra large eggs shouldn't be used either.

If I want to let my broody hatch some eggs what are good eggs to use? From hens that have been laying over a year or can you use eggs from hens that are are 7 months to 11 months old?
I had my best hatch (100%) from my pullets and they'd been laying less than 2 months and were about 7 months when I started collecting and I set. All chicks hatched healthy and are growing good. No problems, not even a case of pasty butt. I was worried about my polish because they were a little smaller than I was comfortable with, but even they hatched fine and first. I would try to make sure you are comfortable with the size though.

Back
Top Bottom