Is he a pinche roo?

dennio

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 29, 2015
Petaluma
Hi and thanks for reading. I have been wondering this since we got our four chicks at the local feed store here in Petaluma. One out of the two delewares I got has always had more waddle and comb than his other hatchmate, his tail is also noticably longer. However he is almost 11 weeks as of this wed. and has not crowed once, as far as I am concerned he makes the squawks the other chickens make. I got some picture of the boy and will post the other deleware aswell as the RIR and Dark Brahma in a bit. I honestly hope he is a roo because I would like some more chickens.

Last edited:
One can hope, even though its illegal in my town to have a roo in the backyard. However I wonder if I can get away with it because my neighbors dogs always are barking anyways? Also if hes a roo when will those nasty spurs be coming in?

It can take over a year for a rooster's spurs to reach full size. If it's illegal for you to keep a rooster in town, then don't keep him. If you do, you could lose your whole flock, or the city could decide that if people can't abide by the rules they might ban chickens all together. Be responsible and follow your town's rules.

It can take over a year for a rooster's spurs to reach full size. If it's illegal for you to keep a rooster in town, then don't keep him. If you do, you could lose your whole flock, or the city could decide that if people can't abide by the rules they might ban chickens all together. Be responsible and follow your town's rules.
I agree its just hard to think about letting a family pet go so easily.. luck willl have it, my cities code only says the restriction is that a residence may keep 20 of any type of fowl not to exceed that number. No restriction on roosters. So more baby chicks to come. Happy egging yall.

I agree with junebuggena; and sooner or later some cranky neighbor is going to report you. And you really don't need a rooster enjoy fresh eggs. Your hens will likely lay better if they are not stressed by having a rooster around. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom